If you're looking to protect your future fertility or restore your fertility when it is lost, we can help. Since 2010, the UPMC Fertility Preservation Program has provided world-class care for adults and children.
Our Fertility Preservation Services
Our program provides a wide range of fertility services for:
- Women and girls.
- Men and boys.
- LGBTQ+ adults and children.
Adults can freeze sperm, eggs, or embryos to preserve their fertility.
There currently are no standard options to preserve the fertility of:
- Adults who can't produce eggs or sperm.
- Children who aren't yet producing mature eggs or sperm.
- Transgender individuals who are on gender affirming treatments (hormone suppression, cross-sex hormones, surgery).
For these patients, we can freeze testicular or ovarian tissue that can be thawed in the future and used to produce sperm or eggs and restore fertility.
The program also leads a number of fertility preservation and fertility restoration clinical trials (experimental).
For people with ovaries: options to preserve fertility
For people with testes: options to preserve fertility
To provide these services, we work with:
Our Fertility Restoration Services
Options to restore fertility from frozen eggs, embryos, or ovarian tissues
- In vitro fertilization (IVF) followed by embryo transfer in coordination with CFRE.
- Frozen embryo transfer in coordination with CFRE.
- Ovarian tissue transplantation (experimental).
Options to restore fertility from frozen sperm or testicular tissues
- IVF or IVF with intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) followed by embryo transfer in coordination with CFRE.
- Spermatogonial stem cell transplantation (experimental).
- Testicular tissue grafting (experimental).
About Our Fertility Research and Program
Our innovative research focuses on how the following can impact fertility:
- Treatments for cancer, gender dysphoria, and other conditions.
We then quickly apply our knowledge and insights to the care and treatment of our patients.
The UPMC Fertility Preservation Program also:
- Educates patients and their doctors about the reproductive consequences of their disease, treatments or other circumstances.
- Develops state-of-the-art reproductive technologies to preserve fertility and treat infertility.
- Translates those new reproductive technologies into clinical practice.
- Trains the next era of fertility preservation doctors and researchers in this quickly evolving field.
Make an Appointment at the UPMC Magee Center for Reproduction and Transplantation
You or your doctor can request an appointment by: