At UPMC, we engage in an ongoing review and analysis of our procedures and outcomes, the extensive collection and cross-referencing of data, the study of best practices, increased collaboration among our health care professionals, and open communication with our patients and their families. Our goal is to provide quality care at a lower cost.
- UPMC is becoming a leader in the use of telemedicine to reduce costs while providing patients access to some of the most respected and expert specialists in their fields. Our pioneering telestroke program is an outstanding example of the value of such care.
- Our electronic health record system offers doctors the opportunity to review a patient’s file and avoid unnecessary or duplicated testing, and reduce medicine errors.
- We are working to help patients recover more quickly and return home sooner through state-of-the-art medical advancements, such as minimally invasive surgeries.
- We are helping to reduce patient readmission to our hospitals by improving caregiver communication and providing greater in-home support, such as transitional nursing care.
- We are continually looking at ways to minimize hospital-based infections.
- We are working more closely with patients and families to identify their care goals and preferences.