The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine's two-year cardiothoracic surgery residency program is for those who have successfully completed an accredited general surgery residency.
The university also offers a six-year cardiothoracic surgery residency for candidates directly out of medical school.
This program includes two residents per year in the cardiac track and two per year in the thoracic track, for a total of eight residents.
Thoracic track residents complete the following during their two-year training stream:
- 18 general thoracic rotations
- 7 adult cardiac rotations
- 1 pediatric cardiac rotation
During training, residents receive exposure to many key experiential learning environments including:
- Multivessel revascularizations
- Combinations of valve repairs and replacements
- Congenital heart disease procedures
- Acquired pediatric heart disease procedures
- Endoscopic techniques including:
- Rigid bronchoscopy
- Flexible bronchoscopy
- Fluorescence bronchoscopy
- Associate advanced laser techniques
- Complex endoscopic cases for many malignant and benign esophageal disorders
Cardiopulmonary Transplant Elective
Residents may choose an elective month on cardiopulmonary transplant.
Here, they will have training and exposure to single lung, double lung, heart-lung, and heart transplantation procedures, as well as techniques of mechanical circulatory support, including left and biventricular assist devices.
Faculty strongly encourages residents to participate in basic scientific and clinical research projects with a goal of submitting at least one or two papers each year.
How to Apply to the Two-Year CT Surgery Residency Program
The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine accepts applications through the ERAS® (Electronic Residency Application Service) website.
Please visit the ERAS site to learn more about application requirements, fees, and other details.
GME Cardiothoracic Surgery Residency and Fellowship Coordinator
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Suite C800
200 Lothrop Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213