PrEP is changing lives and the conversation about HIV
REACCH is offering PrEP Navigation Services to insured and uninsured patients
- In PrEP Navigation Services the PrEP Navigators will work with patients to help apply for medication financial assistance programs to make their PrEP medication more affordable as well as assist patients in addressing other barriers to medication accessibility and adherence.
Anyone can contract HIV, although some populations are disproportionately affected - for example, male-to male sexual contact accounted for 65% of new HIV diagnoses in 2019. (CDC).
Helping your patients prevent contracting HIV is possible. Pre-exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP), a daily medication that, along with regular healthcare visits and preventative care, works to keep patients HIV-negative. While it’s not always comfortable or easy to inquire about an individual’s sexuality, gender, or lifestyle, it’s an important part of their overall health and well-being.
REACCH is a resource to you and your patients to prevent contracting HIV. If you need support in starting the conversation, refer to the following questions and considerations during appointments with patients.
- Does the patient have a partner living with HIV and are they considering getting pregnant?
- Does the patient have an ongoing sexual relationship with a partner who is living with HIV?
- Has the patient had more than one sexual partner in the past six months?
- Does the patient always use condoms?
- Has the patient tested positive for a sexually transmitted infection (STI) such as Chlamydia or Gonorrhea in the past six months?
- Does the patient use injection drugs, share needles, syringes, or other equipment to inject drugs with someone living with HIV, or whose HIV status is unknown?
- Has the patient recently been prescribed PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) and reports on-going risky behavior or has used multiple courses of PEP?
Refer your patients for PrEP services, regardless of their insurance status!
Access the EPIC Referral is [REF814] AMB REFERRAL TO REACCH PREVENTION SERVICES (PREP)
Need more information?
Connect with the UPMC Central PA Portal app 24/7
UPMC Central PA Portal providers patients across the central Pennsylvania region with secure access to their health information. It is the fastest way to send a message to your doctor, refill prescriptions, get test results, and schedule and manage appointments, including video visits.
Log-In or Sign Up Today