Philanthropy is a powerful tool. Through giving, you have a meaningful opportunity to fulfill your dreams of helping others, and at the same time helping yourself and your loved ones. Donors to the Hamot Health Foundation support the highest quality patient care, the most innovative services and technology, and the most qualified, skilled professionals - all in the best facilities in the region.
Through philanthropy, our quality and service gets even better as new ideas are launched, new programs are born and new lives are touched.
Learn more about volunteer opportunities at UPMC Hamot.
Volunteer opportunities are available at UPMC Hamot through the UPMC Hamot Aid Society.
Founded in 1906, the UPMC Hamot Aid Society currently has approximately 200 members. The mission of the UPMC Hamot Aid Society is to serve and support the needs of UPMC Hamot, its patients and guests, and honor the needs of the Society through volunteer service, education, and fundraising. The organization, under the umbrella of the Hamot Health Foundation, contributes more than 12,000 volunteer hours a year to UPMC Hamot.
Areas of Service
Volunteers serve in various areas of hospital operations including, but not limited to:
- Cuddler Program
- Gift Shop
- Information Desk
- No one Dies Alone
- Family Waiting Room
- Surgery Center
- Transplant Services
- Wound Center
Volunteers Benefit the Hospital and Community
In addition to volunteer areas in the various areas of the hospital, the UPMC Hamot Aid Society benefits the hospital through:
Medical Education Assistance Fund
- Providing scholarships to students for graduate or undergraduate course work relevant to the medical field since 1959. The scholarship is given for tuition only and is paid directly to the school.
Community Health Education
- Programs provide opportunities for the community to obtain valuable health care information.
- Proceeds from fundraising projects are used to purchase modern medical equipment and to fund programs and activities conducted throughout the Hamot Health Foundation. Fundraising includes Gift Shop sales, vendor sales, and the baby pictures program in the UPMC Hamot Women’s Hospital.
How Do I Become a Volunteer?
- Complete the online volunteer application form
- If you are a graduate student, please apply as an adult. If you are an undergraduate student, please apply as college.
- Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older.
- Submit two confidential references using one of the options below:
- Paper Referral: Download PDF and ask two references to either mail or fax the form directly to the hospital selected.
- Online Referral: Send link to two individuals giving them instructions to select the hospital you've selected.
For more information, call Amy Ghosh at 814-877-2107.
Concierge Volunteer Openings
Volunteers are needed to assist with the hospital concierge service, located in the newly-renovated main hospital lobby.
Hours are flexible with minimum required hours shown below.
- Be able to use computer to look up patient room numbers
- Respond to patient and visitor requests in a professional, courteous, and timely manner without exception
- Deliver items to patients’ rooms (mail, flowers, gifts, etc.)
- Provide directional assistance and escort patients and visitors as needed
- Provide wheelchair transport as needed
- Answer phones and refer calls to specific office, administrator, or patient care area
- Be willing to assist with UPMC Hamot Aid Society fundraising events
- Successfully complete hospital background pre-screening, health, and mandatory education requirements
- Complete other duties as requested such as (but not limited to) filling “personal bags” with gowns, bonnets, and booties
- Project an approachable and professional image at all times
Volunteers are members of the UPMC Hamot Aid Society, the hospital auxiliary.
Volunteering with the UPMC Hamot Aid Society is not a pathway to employment.