UPMC Horizon promotes health care professions with student internships. To manage student internships across the UPMC system, the Education Department receives and processes all internship applications. We will approve student intern applications under the following conditions:
- The student's college course of study requires an internship for a specific time.
- The student shows a desire to serve as an intern.
How to Apply for a Student Internship
Contact the Education Department at 724-589-6811 between 7 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday to confirm placement availability.
- Once availability is confirmed, proceed with the following information. Each student applying for a clinical or technical internship with UPMC Horizon must follow the steps below.
- Print the Student Internship Checklist (PDF) to ensure all steps are completed.
Complete orientation test and mandatory training
- Review the UPMC Horizon and Jameson Student Intern Orientation Handbook (PDF) and take the post test (PDF).
- Complete the mandatory training modules (clinical or nonclinical). If you have a question about which modules you should complete, call the Education Department at 724-589-6811.
- All students must also complete an online educational module — COVID-19 Introduction Education at UPMC. Students can also visit Wolff Learning Academy and click "COVID-19 Introductory Education."
- Participants will be directed to create an account and login before completing module.
- Click Register for a Class
- Click Create an Account
- Leave Preferred Class Date as defaulted
- Click Complete to the left of the course title
- Click Review Course Material
- Make sure to follow all instructions for completing the course and obtaining the certificate
Get your PA clearances and health requirements
- A criminal background check from the PATCH website (ACT 34).
- Act 33 clearance. Visit the Pennsylvania Child Abuse website for Act 33 clearance.
- Act 73 FBI history clearance. Visit IdentoGO.com, search by state, select "digital fingerprint," enter service code 1KG756, and make an appointment.
- Health exam completed within the past 12 months.
- A chickenpox (varicella) vaccine if you haven't had chickenpox or received the vaccine, a flu shot completed within the past 12 months, and a rubella titer blood test completed within the past 12 months.
- Two-step tuberculin test (PPD), completed within three weeks of each other and not more than one year ago.
- Hepatitis B vaccine
Fill out and send in your paperwork
At least 10 business days before the first day of the internship, fill out and send the following to the
Paperwork can be submitted by:
- Fax : 724-589-6290
- Scan/email: firstname.lastname@example.org
110 North Main Street
Greenville, PA 16125
ATTN: Patti Wolcott
Failure to turn in your paperwork at least 10 days before your start date could delay your internship.