UPMC’s electrophysiology and psychophysics service utilizes a variety of sophisticated technologies and methods to detect, diagnose and evaluate various visual disorders. The visual electrophysiology tests are objective and non-invasive and are compiled using ISCEV standards. The tests assess visual functions along the visual pathway from the retina to the primary visual cortex. The services are provided to both children and adults. The following tests are available:
- Full-field ERG: Records the summed electrical retinal responses and reflects functional state of the photoreceptors to the inner retinal layers. Test results are useful in the diagnosis of several retinal diseases such as retinitis pigmentosa, Leber congenital amaurosis, congenital stationary night blindness, cone dystrophy, cone-rod dystrophy, drug toxicity, and retinal vascular disease.
- Multi-focal ERG: Allows assessment of electrical responses from different regions of retina. This test results are useful in assessing macular and paramacular pathologies such as macular degeneration, drug toxicity (Plaquenil), enlarged blindspot syndrome.
Visual Evoked Potentials (VEP)
Visual Evoked Potentials are used to assess integrity and maturation of the visual systems. VEP can be used to determine the visual potential and visual acuities of infants and non-verbal adults, evaluate neurological diseases such as multiple sclerosis, optic neuritis, amblyopia, cortical blindness. Our service provides the following tests:
- Pattern VEP: Detects lesions of the visual pathways
- Flash VEP: Determines visual potentials and visual maturation
- Sweep VEP: Assess visual acuity
- Multi-focal VEP: Assess large number of regions within a visualfield
An electrooculogram evaluates the function of the outer retina and retinal pigment epithelium. It is useful in assessing the Best's vitelliform macular dystrophy, Stargardt’s disease or fundus flavimaculatus, and dominant drusen.
Preferential Looking Test
Teller Acuity Cards are used to determine pediatric visual acuity. This test can be used for infants or pre-veral children vision screening which is crucial to health visual development.
Most insurances accepted for the above tests. Please call 412-647-2200 or 1-800-446-3797 to schedule an appointment.