UPMC physicians share their thoughts about patient blood management before, during, and after surgery.
- Patient Blood Management and Hip/Knee Surgery: Michael R. Pagnotto, MD, is a fellowship-trained specialist in hip and knee replacement surgery. Read this interview to learn more about how he uses patient blood management in orthopaedic surgery.
- Patient Blood Management and Orthopaedic Surgery Issues: Brian R. Hamlin, MD, explains a variety of techniques for reducing surgical blood loss in treating diseases of the hip and knee.
- Patient Blood Management and Cardiology: Read this interview with John Schindler, MD, to find out how patients that cannot be transfused can find respectful care for their cardiology concerns.
- Patient Blood Management and Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery:Suketu Mansuria, MD, discusses bloodless medicine and surgery as an option for patients who may be considering minimally invasive gynecologic surgery.
- Blood Management in the 21st Century: Anthony DiGioia, MD, and Brian Hamlin, MD, physicians at the Orthopaedic Program at Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC discuss the impact of transfusion and the use of packed red blood cells as they relate to total joint arthroplasty.
- Patient Blood Management and Perfusion: Robert Dyga, RN, discusses the role of a perfusionist, the reasons a surgical patient may decide against receiving blood from another person, blood recovery, and other autologous techniques.
- Patient Blood Management and Colorectal Issues: David Medich, MD, explains the benefits of having a colonoscopy and how this type of screening is available for individuals who cannot accept blood transfusions.
- Patient Blood Management and Gynecologic Oncology: Joseph L. Kelley, MD, reviews patients' bloodless medicine options when seeking treatment for breast cancer, ovarian cancer, endometrial cancer, cervical and vaginal cancer, and trophoblastic disease.
- Patient Blood Management and Plastic Surgery: Sandeep Kathju, MD, discusses the importance of reducing blood loss during plastic surgical procedures, and how it may have a positive affect on the healing process.
- Patient Blood Management and Shoulder Replacement Surgery: Thomas Hughes, MD, discusses shoulder replacement surgery and the steps taken preoperatively to prepare patients with blood transfusion preferences for surgery.
Patient Blood Management and Orthopaedic Surgery
Brian Hamlin, MD, explains patient blood management and orthopaedic surgery.
Patient Blood Management in Pregnancy and Birth
Hyagriv N. Simhan, MD, discusses patient blood management during pregnancy and birth.
Blood Management and Bloodless Surgery
Dr. Jonathan Waters explains how blood management is used during surgery.