The resident will demonstrate an awareness of and responsiveness to the larger context and system of health care and the ability to effectively call on system resources to provide care that is of optimal value.
- Coordinates all aspects of hand and upper extremity rehabilitation, including splinting, prosthesis use, physical therapy, and sensory re-education.
- Direct the rehabilitation of upper extremities following trauma by partnering with the following:
a. Physical Therapy
b. Occupational Therapy
c. Prosthetic and orthotic specialists
d. Demonstrates knowledge of cost-effective hand care.
e. Advocates for hand patients within the health care system.
- Understands the basics of Worker's Compensation.
- Refers hand patients to the appropriate practitioners and agencies.
- Facilitates the timely discharge of hand patients.