Geriatric Physical Therapy Residency Program
About the Geriatric PT Residency Program
The Geriatric Residency Program provides practicing physical therapists with advanced training in geriatric:
- Evidence-based interventions
The program places an emphasis on evidence-based practice and the use of research and outcome measurements.
While you gain clinical experience, you will complete didactic education courses in the following formats:
- Home-study format.
- Weekend continuing education.
- Program-created independent study modules.
UPMC Centers for Rehab Services (CRS) funds the program, housed within the following UPMC inpatient and CRS outpatient clinics:
- UPMC St. Margaret
- UPMC Mercy
- UPMC Seneca Place Skilled Nursing Facility
- UPMC Mercy Southside Outpatient Facility
Who should apply to the Geriatric PT Residency Program?
Licensed physical therapists that have already completed an entry-level program who want to:
- Receive further training in the geriatric PT subspecialty.
- Become board-certified clinical specialists in geriatric physical therapy.
Geriatric PT Residency Program Curriculum
The 16-month Geriatric PT Residency Program provides clinical experience and mentoring throughout the continuum of elder care:
- Acute hospitalization
- Inpatient rehab
- Skilled nursing
- Outpatient care
The program works closely with the University of Pittsburgh Department of Physical Therapy.
Along with clinical practice and mentoring, the Geriatric PT Residency curriculum’s core areas include:
- Clinical decision-making
- Continuing ed
- Didactic coursework
- Professionalism and advocacy
- Specialty practice observation
- Teaching assistance
Typical weekly schedule for geriatric PT residents
- Clinical practice: MTW 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m., H 8:00 a.m.-2:30 p.m. (varies based on site).
- Mentoring: 2 to 3 hours per week.
- Department of Physical Therapy (DPT) Grand Rounds: F Noon-1:00 p.m.
- UPMC St. Margaret GeriCore Interdisciplinary Rounds:F 7:00-8:00 a.m.
- Teaching assistance: Spring semester H 1:00-5:00 p.m.
- Didactic geriatric PT residency modules: Fridays.
Geriatric PT Residency Program Director and Faculty
Jennifer McMahon, PT
Board Certified Geriatric Clinical Specialist
Centers for Rehab Services — UPMC St. Margaret Hospital
- Jennifer McMahon, PT, GCS
- Geraldine Grzybek, PT, GCS
- Tracie Nguyen, PT
- Kelly Vitti, PT, GCS, NCS
- Missy Criss, PT, GCS
- Kaitlyn Begonia, PT, GCS
- Chad Zoll, PT
- Chris Venus, PT, NCS
Application Process for the Geriatric PT Residency
- The program application deadline is commonly in January.
- Interviews for qualified candidates are in early March.
- The program start date is early August.
- Tuition for the Geriatric Physical Therapy Residency Program is $6,800.
To learn more, email Jennifer McMahon, PT — Geriatric PT Program Director.