Orthopaedic Physical Therapy Residency Program
About the Orthopaedic PT Residency Program
The Ortho Residency Program provides practicing physical therapists with advanced training in orthopaedic:
- Manual therapy techniques
The program also places an emphasis on using research and the literature to maintain practice within the scope of evidence-based physical therapy.
UPMC Centers for Rehab Services funds the program, housed within several outpatient clinics. The UPMC Rooney Center for Sports Medicine serves as our main training location.
Who should apply to the Ortho PT Residency Program?
Licensed physical therapists that have already completed an entry-level program who want to:
- Receive further training in the orthopaedic physical therapy subspecialty.
- Become board-certified clinical specialists in orthopaedic PT.
Orthopaedic PT Residency Curriculum
The Ortho PT Residency Program runs 16 successive months starting in August.
As part of the "Continuing Education” Plan of Study, you will take part in a planned Orthopaedic Residency Program curriculum. You will also enroll in part of the Advanced Clinical Practice — Musculoskeletal Sequence, sponsored by Centers for Rehab Services.
These courses promote advanced clinical decision-making and manual therapy skills for assessing and treating musculoskeletal disorders of the:
- Foot and ankle
- Sacroiliac joint
- Cervical, lumbar, and thoracic spine
You will earn continuing education units (CEU) for this didactic part of the residency program.
Along with advanced coursework, you will attend:
Typical weekly schedule for ortho PT residents
- Clinical practice: MW 7:00 a.m.-Noon, TR 8:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.
- Mentoring: 2 to 3-hour time blocks on Friday mornings.
- Orthopaedics Sports Conference: W 6:00-7:00 a.m.
- University of Pittsburgh, Department of Physical Therapy (DPT) Grand Rounds: F Noon-1:00 p.m.
- Teaching assistance (Pitt DPT musculoskeletal program): MW 1:00-5:00 p.m.
- Didactic orthopaedic residency modules: Fridays, most often from 1:00-5:00 p.m.
- Other activities (vary by week): resident journal club, complex patient conference.
Orthopaedic PT Residency Director and Faculty
Keelan R. Enseki, MSPT, OCS, SCS, ATC, CSCS
Centers for Rehab Services — UPMC Rooney Sports Medicine Complex
- Erica Coffey, PT SCS
- Shane Conley, PT, OCS
- Ashley Disantis, PT, OCS
- Erin Dufort, PT, OCS
- Keelan Enseki, PT, OCS, SCS
- Rick Joreitz, PT, SCS, ATC
- Brittany Lynch, PT, OCS, SCS
- Andrew Lynch, PhD, PT
- Adam Popchak, PhD, PT, SCS
- David Spaeder, PT, OCS
- Cara Troutman-Enseki, PT, OCS, SCS
Application Process, Dates, and Contacts
- Deadline to apply: Early December
- Interviews for qualified applicants: Early January or February
- Start date: Early August
- Tuition: $7,700
To learn more, email Keelan R. Enseki, MSPT, OCS — Ortho PT Residency Program Director.