Neurological Physical Therapy Residency Program
About the Neuro PT Residency Program
The Neurological Residency Program provides practicing physical therapists with advanced training in neurologic:
- Intervention techniques
The program also places an emphasis on using research and the literature to maintain practice within the scope of evidence-based physical therapy.
UPMC Centers for Rehab Services funds the program, housed within UPMC Mercy Hospital, Institute of Rehabilitation for the inpatient experience.
Clinics for outpatient neuro PT training include:
- UPMC Centers for Rehab Services, Monroeville Oxford Drive
- UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex
Who should apply to the Neuro PT Residency Program?
Licensed physical therapists that have already completed an entry-level program who want to:
- Receive further training in the neurological PT subspecialty.
- Become board-certified clinical specialists in neurological physical therapy.
Neurological PT Residency Curriculum
The Neurological PT Residency Program runs 12 successive months starting in August.
As part of the "Continuing Education” Plan of Study, you will participate in a planned Neurological Residency Program curriculum. You will also enroll in the Neuroconsortium, sponsored by the University of Southern California.
These courses promote advanced clinical decision-making in the evaluation and treatment of neurologic disorders such as:
- Cerebrovascular accident
- Spinal cord injury
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Progressive neuromuscular disorders
- Vestibular disorders
Along with advanced coursework, you will attend:
- PT grand rounds
- The APTA Combined Sections Meeting
- An advanced vestibular rehab course
- Other relevant training for advancing skills in neurological physical therapy
Typical weekly schedule for neuro PT residents
- Clinical practice: M-Th 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Mentoring: About 4 hours per week during clinical practice.
- University of Pittsburgh, Department of Physical Therapy (DPT) Grand Rounds: F Noon-1:00 p.m.
- Teaching assistance (Pitt DPT neuromuscular program): Tuesday or Thursday mornings when appropriate.
- Didactic neurology residency modules: Neuroconsortium webinars on Wednesday nights.
Neurological PT Residency Program Director and Faculty
Chris Venus, PT, NCS
Centers for Rehab Services — 2310 Jane Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15237
- Chris Venus, PT, NCS
- Darcy Bonaventura, PT, NCS
- Claire Moldovan, PT, NCS
- Jodi Krause, PT, NCS
- Hallie Zeleznik, PT, NCS
- Regan Harrell, PT, DPT
- Terry Breisinger, PT, NCS
- Amy Greaney, PT
- Kelly Vitti, PT, GCS, NCS
- Joseph Everhart, PT, NCS
- Martha Somers, PT
Application Process, Dates, and Contacts
- Deadline to apply: December 31
- Interviews for qualified applicants: February
- Start date: Early August
- Tuition: $8,500
To learn more, contact Chris Venus, PT — Neuro PT Residency Program Director: