UPMC in central Pa. and its dedicated nursing staff are proud of their Magnet® recognition at UPMC Community Osteopathic, Harrisburg and West Shore. UPMC Community Osteopathic and Harrisburg attained Magnet® recognition for the third consecutive time in 12 years. UPMC West Shore, which opened in 2014, achieved Magnet® Recognition upon initial application. Our additional hospitals are currently on a journey to nursing excellence and will also be applying for the Magnet® Recognition.
Magnet® recognition for nursing excellence at UPMC Community Osteopathic, Harrisburg, and West Shore.
Pictured above: UPMC Community Osteopathic, Harrisburg and West Shore Magnet® Champions in central Pa.
"I love listening to my patient's journey, their life experiences, heartaches and triumphs and letting them know that they are safe in my care."
- Tamara, MSN, RN, CMSRN
What is the Magnet Recognition Program®?
Magnet Recognition® is the highest honor awarded by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) and is considered the gold standard in nursing excellence. The program recognizes health care organizations for quality patient care, nursing excellence, and innovations in professional nursing practice. Magnet status is granted only to hospitals that undergo a rigorous, voluntary evaluation process to demonstrate that they meet certain standards for care and practice.
What does Magnet Recognition® mean for our patients and nurses?
- Quality Patient Care. Research has shown that Magnet® hospitals achieve higher levels of patient satisfaction and lower mortality and complication rates. This results in higher levels of patient and nurse satisfaction, as well as improved outcomes for those we care for.
- Proven Excellence in Nursing. Our focus on nursing excellence allows UPMC in central Pa. nurses to provide safe, evidence-based care to all of our patients. We utilize and incorporate the most current nursing research into our practice to achieve high quality patient outcomes.
- Collaborative Professional Work Environment. UPMC in central Pa. is committed to providing a positive environment for all employees. As a Magnet organization, we focus on promoting learning and professional growth for our nurses.
- Team Focused Care Environments. Magnet Recognition® is a team effort. UPMC in central Pa. nurses collaborate with all hospital departments to function as a cohesive team. Every team member counts, and it is through a professional work environment that our nurses are able to grow and achieve amazing results for our patients.
- Highly Qualified Nurses. UPMC in central Pa. has a proven track record of nursing excellence and outstanding patient care. Our nurses have the opportunity to continue their professional growth in a positive environment that promotes collaboration and learning. This allows us to recruit and retain the highest caliber of nurses available in Central Pennsylvania