What Is a Doula?
A doula is a specially trained labor and support person who:
- Provides non-medical comfort and care before, during, and after your pregnancy.
- Supports the birth experience by encouraging the pregnant person and new parent to speak up for themselves (self-advocacy) and teaches the skills to interact with the healthcare system.
The Birth Circle Doulas of Magee
Our Birth Circle Doulas help women who plan to deliver at UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital in every stage of pregnancy.
A Birth Circle Doula of Magee:
- Helps you decide your birth preferences and make a birth plan.
- Shares their knowledge and compassion with the goal of creating a safe and nurturing birthing space.
- Stays by your side during childbirth to offer support.
- Provides childbirth and baby care education.
- Identifies and provides support for mental health issues.
- Offers postpartum follow-up breastfeeding support.
Why Should I Think About Getting Doula Support at UPMC Magee?
The presence of a trusted person during labor can make a big difference in having a positive birth experience.
Research has found that people who use doula services have:
- Fewer medical interventions.
- Fewer C-sections.
- Less use of pain medicines and epidurals.
- Increased rates of breastfeeding.
- Higher satisfaction with the birth experience.
- Decreased postpartum depression.
The postpartum follow-up by the doulas has shown to have a positive impact on breastfeeding and attendance at well-baby visits.
Get to Know the Doula Team at UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital
As you approach your due date, please join us at our monthly virtual meet-and-greet session to meet the whole doula team.
To learn more about doula services, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.