The most important aspect of your clear liquid diet, immediately after bariatric surgery, is to keep well hydrated.
- Sip liquids constantly. You should have 48–64 ounces (six to eight, 8-ounce cups) of fluids per day.
- Dilute fruit juices. At first, you may need to dilute fruit juices to avoid nausea or diarrhea.
- Avoid extremes. It may be helpful to avoid extremely hot or cold liquids until your stomach fully heals, usually around six weeks.
Remember, your stomach is still recovering from bariatric surgery. It's common to experience nausea or vomiting at this point. Please keep yourself hydrated.
Suggested Choices for a Clear Liquid Diet After Bariatric Surgery
Fruit juices - Diluted or light juices with artificial sweetener. Limit — 2 cups daily, due to calories
- Clear beef
- Ice chips
- Decaffeinated coffee or tea
- Low calorie sports drinks
- Sugar free:
- Popsicles or frozen juice bars
- Noncarbonated flavored waters
- Clear fruit drinks with artificial sweetener
Your bariatric surgeon will advise you when to advance to the next phase of your weight loss surgery diet.
Everyone else proceed to Phase 2B. Pureed Diet