At UPMC's Adult Airway Clinic, we use the field's most advanced methods and equipment to diagnose and treat upper airway conditions, such as:
- Larynx, subglottis, and proximal trachea issues
- Tracheotomy-dependent problems
A Team Approach to Diagnosing Airway Conditions
Because upper airway problems can be signs of other medical problems, our airway clinic team often consults with other UPMC experts in:
- Thoracic surgery
- Maxillofacial surgery
- Sleep and speech disorders
- Respiratory therapy
Radiologists, anesthesiologists, and social workers also provide services as needed.
Airway clinic staff will arrange and manage other advanced or specialty care when you need it.
Testing and Treatments for Easier Breathing
To treat upper airway disorders, we offer a mix of medical and surgical approaches:
- Digital Endoscopic Video: Our doctors use noninvasive digital endoscopic video equipment to assess upper airway disorders. These images help our doctors make a correct diagnosis and choose the best treatment option for you.
- Pulmonary Lab: A state-of-the-art pulmonology lab allows our airway clinic team to perform both endoscopic-assisted and exercise-induced pulmonary function tests.
- Surgery: Airway specialists provide:
- Cutting-edge treatments using lasers.
- Advanced surgical options using cartilage and mucosal grafting.
- Minimally invasive endoscopic methods such as balloon dilation and stent placement.
- Endoscopic or "open" airway reconstructive procedures, depending on the best approach for addressing your airway obstruction.
Make an Appointment at the Adult Airway Clinic
To learn more about treatments or make an appointment at the UPMC Adult Airway Clinic, call 412-232-7464.
Learn More About Upper Airway Disorders
From our Health Library