These tests show the movement of solids or liquids from your stomach into your small intestine.
Instructions to prep for a GET can vary but may include:
- Not taking certain stomach medicine and narcotics 2 days before the study.
- No eating, drinking, or caffeine for 6 hours before the study.
- No smoking the morning of the test or during the study.
For the study, your tech will give you a small amount of food tagged with a tasteless radioactive material, such as:
- 2 scrambled eggs and 2 oz. of water.
- Eggs, toast with jam, and 2 oz. of water.
If you're allergic to eggs, we can give you Ensure.
The study lasts about 4 or 5 hours.