Your surgeon will provide you with complete instructions for how to successfully prepare for and recover from your heart surgery. Use the information here to get an idea of what you can expect.
Surgical Education And Information
- Prior to your surgery, our surgeons and staff will review the procedure with you so that you have a good understanding of what to expect. You will receive instructions on what you need to do in the days and hours leading up to your surgery. These instructions will vary depending on your individual needs and the type of surgery you are having.
- Following surgery, you will receive instructions about your care. Instructions will vary depending on your particular situation. You will also be scheduled for a follow-up office visit in the weeks following your procedure.
- If you experience any problems after surgery, please call our office at 717-231-8555 or (800) 872-6000. If it is after hours, our answering service will connect you with the surgeon on call, who is available 24-hours a day, seven days a week.
Patient Pre-op Guide for Open Heart Surgery
Powerful Hearts Support Group
Join our active support group where patients can share ideas, thoughts and concerns with people who understand. This is a free service, and we encourage family and friends to attend. Light refreshments will be served.
Register for Powerful Hearts Support Group today.
"The Powerful Hearts Support Group has helped me in understanding better what my body went through during my open heart surgery. It was very enlightening." - Dave P.
"I think the types of issues that the folks in the group have faced are kind of live changing for us as we go forward. I know I never expected to have the problems I have. Getting together with people who have experienced similar situations and procedures is a non intimidating atmosphere for discussion and learning about what we've been through and what we can expect down the road. Lots of good personal education, which really keeps me focused on maintaining my exercise program and good eating habits. And it keeps us close to Central Pa's Cardiovascular Group, which for me, is mentally comforting as I actively work on maintaining my health, but know I may need their services in the future!" - Gary A.
"The support group continues to help me in various ways, namely:
- Learning about open heart surgery and all the procedures they used during the surgery, re-using my blood, getting the vein out of my leg, the closing of the chest and using the wire to hold it closed. Also, all the new techniques they use now to make the surgery less invasive and get you back on the road to recovery faster.
- Having the dietitian go over again on how to read the food labels, good things to eat and not to eat, different ways to actually make the food so it is more heart healthy and tasty.
- Hearing from other members of the support group and seeing how they are coping with their particular surgery and learning to lead a normal life again.
- I know if I have any questions and concerns its a great place to get the answers and hear from some of the other members who might have the same issue.
- You have a great facilitator making sure everyone is comfortable, able to ask questions, express concerns and be part of any discussions. Gets great topics/speakers that we all enjoy and helps keep us focused on our heart issues and it's something we have to continue to monitor and take care of the rest of our lives." - Tony L.
If you experience problems after surgery
Connect with the UPMC Central PA Portal app 24/7
UPMC Central PA Portal providers patients across the central Pennsylvania region with secure access to their health information. It is the fastest way to send a message to your doctor, refill prescriptions, get test results, and schedule and manage appointments, including video visits.
Log-In or Sign Up Today