In today’s fast-paced society, it is easy for breast cancer survivors to prioritize work or family responsibilities over their own health. In order to maintain a healthy lifestyle and lower your risk of breast cancer recurrence, you need the right balance of nutrition, exercise and healthy habits. Here are a few simple tips to help you live a long and healthy life:
- Maintain a healthy weight. Eating right and exercising can help you achieve and maintain your ideal weight.
- Exercise. You should aim for 30 minutes of moderate exercise at least five days per week or 75 minutes of intense exercise per week.
- Eat healthy foods. The best diet for breast cancer survivors is rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins.
- Limit unhealthy foods. You should avoid excessive amounts of fat and sugar by reducing your consumption of red meat, sugary beverages, processed foods and sweets.
- Quit smoking. In addition to being linked to other types of cancer, smoking can increase your risk of breast cancer recurrence.
- Limit alcohol consumption. Breast cancer survivors should consume a maximum of one serving of alcohol per day.
- Reduce stress. Stress management is important to your overall health and well-being. Be sure to make time to take good care of yourself.
Need more information?
Need to access your medical records? We have an app for that.
UPMC Central PA Portal providers patients across the central Pennsylvania region with secure access to their health information. It is the fastest way to send a message to your doctor, refill prescriptions, get test results, and schedule and manage appointments, including video visits.
Log-In or Sign Up Today