In today’s fast-paced society, it is easy for breast cancer survivors to prioritize work or family responsibilities over their own health. In order to maintain a healthy lifestyle and lower your risk of breast cancer recurrence, you need the right balance of nutrition, exercise and healthy habits. Here are a few simple tips to help you live a long and healthy life:
- Maintain a healthy weight. Eating right and exercising can help you achieve and maintain your ideal weight.
- Exercise. You should aim for 30 minutes of moderate exercise at least five days per week or 75 minutes of intense exercise per week.
- Eat healthy foods. The best diet for breast cancer survivors is rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins.
- Limit unhealthy foods. You should avoid excessive amounts of fat and sugar by reducing your consumption of red meat, sugary beverages, processed foods and sweets.
- Quit smoking. In addition to being linked to other types of cancer, smoking can increase your risk of breast cancer recurrence.
- Limit alcohol consumption. Breast cancer survivors should consume a maximum of one serving of alcohol per day.
- Reduce stress. Stress management is important to your overall health and well-being. Be sure to make time to take good care of yourself.
Need more information?
Connect with the UPMC Central PA Portal app 24/7
UPMC Central PA Portal providers patients across the central Pennsylvania region with secure access to their health information. It is the fastest way to send a message to your doctor, refill prescriptions, get test results, and schedule and manage appointments, including video visits.
Log-In or Sign Up Today