About the UPMC ISD Administrative Fellowship Track
The two-year ISD fellowship is a leadership development program that serves as means to develop a broad experience in fellows' career that will foster their professional development within the Insurance Services Division of UPMC.
ISD Fellows will rotate through UPMC Insurance Services Division (UPMC Health Plan, WorkPartners, and Community Care Behavioral Health), have an externship to another UPMC location, and have an optional rotation in any of the other entities in which interest is expressed.
Each rotation will serve as a learning experience for fellows by testing their abilities, as well as instilling applicable system and divisional knowledge related to the strategic plan and vision of the organization. Fellows will work with their rotation preceptor to develop goals and expectations for the rotation. Applicable project(s) work will be assigned within each rotation in order to ensure fellows' progress is meeting the expectations of the program. ISD fellows may also be assigned projects that span the entire two-year fellowship program.
In addition to departmental designated projects, fellows will also have the opportunity to seek out projects that meet their personal career objectives. At the end of the program, fellows will work closely with their preceptors in finding employment opportunities within the organization.
Supplemental learning opportunities
UPMC is highly committed to the training of administrative fellows, and offers opportunities to:
- Gain an understanding of the core processes within the Insurance Services Division
- Have broad exposure to operations of an Integrated Delivery and Financing System
- Better understand clinical operations and finances
- Strengthen health care experience through work on various in-depth projects
- Be mentored by senior-level executives
- Coordinate and participate in executive-level meetings
- Establish a network of contacts throughout the health system
- Improve management and leadership skills
- Refine communication and analytical skills