When you become a volunteer at UPMC Altoona, your greatest rewards come from the heart. You feel the squeeze of a comforted hand. You see the smile of a healing neighbor. You bring a message of joy to someone feeling alone. That's why more than 500 folks volunteer each year. Their pay is a sense of peace, fulfillment and completeness.
Our team features:
Perks of Volunteering
As a volunteer, you receive:
- Orientation and training
- Complimentary meal ticket after three or more hours of service in one day
- Opportunities to grow, learn, and have input into the program
Volunteer Requirements at UPMC Altoona
To volunteer at UPMC Altoona, you must:
- Be 14 years of age or older.
- Volunteer a few hours every week.
- Attend orientation where a volunteer coordinator will match your interests and schedule with the hospital's needs.
- Sign in and out.
- Report absences to your supervisor.
- Maintain hospital and patient confidentiality.
Volunteer Opportunities at UPMC Altoona
See below for some of the ways you can volunteer to help patients, families, and UPMC staff.
Not all opportunities listed are available at all times. Opportunities will be discussed in further detail during the interview process.
- Customer Service Dept.
- Altoona Family Physicians
- Emergency Department
- Eucharistic Minister
- File Clerk
- Gift Shop Volunteer
- Greeter Services
- Information Desk Receptionist
- Medical Staff Clerical Assistant
- Nursing Unit Volunteer
- Office Assistant/Clerical
- Outpatient Laboratory Receptionist
- Patient Visitor
- Waiting Room Receptionist
Apply to Volunteer at UPMC Altoona
- Complete the online volunteer application form
- Submit two confidential references using one of the options below:
- Paper Referral: Download PDF and ask two references to either mail or fax the form directly to UPMC Altoona.
- Online Referral: Send link to two individuals giving them instructions to select UPMC Altoona.
Learn more about UPMC Volunteer Services or view Frequently Asked Volunteer Questions.