Thank you for choosing UPMC Magee-Womens Imaging for your breast health services. We are committed to providing you with the best possible care.
Here are some helpful things to know about your mammogram results:
- The screening mammogram will be read by a radiologist within 7-10 business days.
- Your results will be available to both you and your doctor in MyUPMC. If you have not signed up for access, please ask one of our staff members to help you.
- There is a chance you can receive your results online before your doctor or before getting a call from us if more imaging is needed. Please know that you will get a call on the next workday to schedule an appointment.
- A letter with your results will still be mailed to your home within 30 days.
If you did not come with your past mammogram images and they are available from another provider, we will hold your mammogram images for up to 2 weeks to compare them with those done before.
If we do not receive your past images within 2 weeks, your mammogram study will be read without comparison. If your images from another facility come after your current mammogram has been read, the radiologist will provide a revised report, and you will be sent another letter in the mail.
There are times when patients are asked to come back from more testing. Please do not panic - this does not always mean that there is a problem. The term Technical Recall may include additional views that the radiologists feels are necessary to complete your exam. Further testing is important to finish your exam and to give you a firm diagnosis.
For some, a four-view mammogram is not enough to full examine breast tissue. In that case, special mammography images such as spot views and/or ultrasound are sometimes needed to make sure breast tissue is normal.
If it is recommenced that you return for additional tests, our staff will call you to schedule an appointment. If you have been contacted by your doctor’s office before hearing from us, please call 412-641-1050.
Please call your insurance provider to find out what you may be financially responsible for because there is a cost for additional tests. The additional tests most often done include:
- #77065 - Mammography, unilateral
- #77066 - Mammography, bilateral
- #76642 - Breast Ultrasound
- #77061 - Digital Breast Tomosynthesis; unilateral
- #77062 - Digital Breast Tomosynthesis; bilateral