With a staff of award-winning physicians, researchers, and faculty, the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) treats patients at the UPMC Rehabilitation Institute, as well as on an outpatient basis.
Awards and Honors: Top Rehab Doctors, Programs, and Research
The department's reputation for the science and practice of rehabilitation attracts top doctors and investigators who continue to make advances in both clinical and research environments.
- Our physiatrists are consistently listed as Top Doctors in Pittsburgh Magazine.
- UPMC Mercy is nationally ranked in rehabilitation by U.S. News & World Report.
- The department is a nationally designated center of excellence in both traumatic injury and spinal cord injury care.
- We're ranked among the top five physical medicine and rehabilitation departments in funding from the National Institutes of Health for rehabilitation research.
Learn more about the physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians nearest you.
Mission, Vision, Core Values
To maximize the health, function, and well-being of the people and populations we serve by providing the highest quality rehabilitative medical care, conducting highly relevant, cutting-edge research, and training the next generation of clinicians and researchers.
We will lead the nation in rehabilitation and disability research, education, and care. We will be the provider of choice for physiatric care, and a leading advocate for people with disabilities and their families.
- Provide the highest quality evidence based rehabilitation care.
- Hire and train dedicated, passionate, dynamic focused on innovative and family centered care within optimized team-based delivery models.
- Maintain supportive and transparent academic and clinical environments.
- Foster teamwork, cultivate education, promote research, and encourage advocacy.
- Exceed our patients' expectations and maximize the health, function, and well-being of the people and populations we serve.
To make an appointment with a rehabilitation specialist visit our Contact Us page or call the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at 412-692-4400 or 1-800-533-8762.