Spinal cord injury and disease affects an individual’s ability to function independently in all areas of daily living.
Our Continuum of Care
We understand that a spinal cord injury is an “across the lifetime” disability. That’s why we offer a seamless continuum of care for months — even years — after your initial discharge from inpatient rehabilitation.
UPMC offers one of the country’s largest and most comprehensive rehabilitation networks, with more than 90 rehab facilities providing inpatient, outpatient, and long-term services. Our network ensures that you receive the right level of care at the right time.
Outpatient care for spinal cord injuries at UPMC covers a wide variety of services and programs to help patients accomplish their goals, from gaining additional independence to improved strength and mobility.
Examples of specific outpatient rehab services offered include:
- Adaptive equipment and technology training
- Home and daily living modifications
- Pain and spasticity management
- Wheelchair training
- Family and patient education and support sessions
- Functional mobility and physical rehabilitation
Other forms of therapy and rehabilitation are prescribed based on your progress and goals set with your personal care team.
Cutting-Edge Research and Treatments for Spinal Cord Injuries
Because we're a nationally designated center of excellence in spinal cord care, we are a test site for the latest treatments.
As a result, we're often involved in research studies relating to:
- Cutting-edge drugs that minimize the impact of trauma to the spine
- Interventions meant to improve and repair connections in a damaged spinal cord
Learn more about inpatient spinal cord injury treatment and rehab at UPMC.