If your child needs care for bone, joint, or muscle injuries or conditions, look no further. Pediatric Orthopaedics of Central Pa. – UPMC assesses and treats even the youngest kids.
We offer outpatient care at UPMC Children's Community Pediatrics in Hummelstown and orthopaedic surgery at UPMC Harrisburg.
What Does a Children's Orthopaedic Surgeon Do?
Pediatric orthopaedic surgeons:
- Specialize in assessing and treating musculoskeletal injuries and conditions in children.
- Account for growth plates and other factors of growing children.
- Know the distinctions that make treating young people different from treating adults.
We care for problems that may be:
- Present at birth.
- Benign or cancerous bone tumors.
- Metabolic bone diseases.
Childhood Bone, Joint, and Muscle Conditions We Treat
Pediatric Orthopaedics of Central Pa. – UPMC treats a full range of conditions, such as:
- Broken bones. This can be anything from a small crack to a separated bone that causes it to move out of place.
- Hip dysplasia. This disorder occurs when a child's joint doesn't form as it should. The "ball" at the top of the thigh bone and the "socket" inside the pelvic bone doesn't fit properly.
- Limb length discrepancies. This is when one leg or arm is shorter than the other.
- Lower limb deformity. This refers to a range of conditions that affect the leg or foot alignment. Common conditions include clubfoot, intoe-ing, and bowed legs.
- Malunion and nonunion. These are both complications of broken bones that don't heal correctly.
- Neuromuscular diseases. These are conditions in which nerves create problems with muscles throughout the body, such as sclerosis or muscular dystrophy.
- Osgood-Schlatter disease. This is inflammation of the growth plate at the top of the shin. It mainly occurs during growth spurts and causes a painful bump below the knee. Kids who play sports are most at risk for this overuse injury.
- Sprains (muscle tears) and strains. Sprains occur when you stretch a ligament attached to a joint. Strains happen when you stretch a muscle too far or put too much pressure on it.
Why Choose UPMC in Central Pa. for Your Child's Orthopaedic Care?
Access to dedicated children's orthopaedic surgeons is extremely limited in central Pa. That's why it's our greatest pleasure to bring this service to your region.
Our team provides the most complete and seamless care possible to help your child feel better.
We look forward to working with your child's PCP and entire care team, so your child can get back to living life.
Contact Pediatric Orthopaedics of Central PA-UPMC
To learn more or make an appointment, call 717-988-9032 or submit our online form.
8105 Adams Drive, Suite C
Hummelstown, PA 17036