Surgery, Services and Treatments for Spine Conditions
Our number one goal at UPMC Orthopaedic Care is to offer the safest, most effective spine treatments available.
We work to develop new ways to deliver less invasive treatments for a faster recovery.
Minimally invasive spine surgery
Our surgeons are committed to using minimally invasive methods to treat all kinds of spine, neck, and back conditions, such as:
- Herniated discs
- Spinal deformities
- Compression fractures
- Degenerative disc disease
Other treatment options for spine conditions
Our spinal surgery experts offer a long list of treatments, including:
- Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion — to treat spinal compression.
- Anterior lumbar interbody fusion — to treat lower back pain for degenerative spine conditions.
- Cervical and lumbar disc replacement
- Cervical foraminotomy — to relieve nerve pressure in the cervical area.
- Complex spinal reconstruction
- Comprehensive physical therapy programs
- Epidural (spinal) steroid injections
- Facet injections (long-lasting steroid injections)
- Kyphoplasty and vertebroplasty — for back compression fractures.
- Lumbar microdiscectomy — to relieve leg and lower back pain by removing a small piece of bone that presses on the nerve.
- Spinal deformity correction
- Spinal fusion — surgery to fuse together two vertebrae.
- Surgery revisions and corrections
Researching the future in spine surgery
Our orthopaedic research team is always uncovering new knowledge and breakthroughs in spine treatments. They have received national and international awards for their work.
Areas of spine surgery research include:
- Reversing disc degeneration
- Cellular growth
- Gene therapy of the discs
- Biochemical make-up of the spine
- Cervical and lumber biomechanics