We understand and appreciate the preparations you have made for your surgical procedure. However, please be aware that occasionally surgeries do not take place on the day or time they are scheduled.
Reasons Your Surgery May Be Cancelled or Postponed
Some of the reasons your surgery maybe cancelled or postponed include:
- Incomplete or abnormal lab results. Any abnormality or incomplete results from your preadmission testing will need to be further investigated before surgery can begin.
- Failure to comply with pre-operative instructions. For example, eating or drinking anything after midnight the day before surgery.
- Availability of operating rooms and hospital beds. At UPMC in central Pa. we perform more than 35,000 surgeries annually. Additionally, we have more than 119,000 emergency department visits each year. Some of these patients require immediate surgery for serious, life-threatening conditions. When these unforeseen circumstances arise, an elective surgery may have to be rescheduled.
- Physician, patient or family request.
- Patient illness. Your surgery may be cancelled if you have cold or flu symptoms.
In the event that your surgery is canceled, we will make every attempt to notify you before you arrive at the hospital. We thank you for your patience and understanding.
For more information about surgical services at UPMC in central Pa. call the UPMC PhoneLine at 717-231-8900.
Need to access your medical records? We have an app for that.
UPMC Central PA Portal providers patients across the central Pennsylvania region with secure access to their health information. It is the fastest way to send a message to your doctor, refill prescriptions, get test results, and schedule and manage appointments, including video visits.
Log-In or Sign Up Today