When you are discharged, you will be given written instructions that are specific for your procedure. Should you more extensive discharge planning, our case managers will provide you and your family with the help you need.
Discharge Planning Checklist
- Evidence shows that if a patient is discharged earlier in the day, he or she is less likely to need to return to the hospital.
- Case management will assist you with any equipment (e.g., bedside commodes, walkers, etc. ) needed for discharge. If possible, please order items you may need at home before leaving the hospital.
- You will be notified of approximately what time your discharge will be.
- Please arrange to have a family member or friend pick you up at that time and be present for the discharge instruction review with your nurse.
- Discharge time is usually between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Please plan ahead and be ready.
- Have your ride available during these hours to pick you up. We want to ensure that you have the best recovery possible.
- If you experience ANY surgery-related problems after your discharge, contact your surgeon immediately
UPMC Central PA Portal is a secure online tool that connects you to your personal health information at any time, day or night. With UPMC Central PA Portal, you can:
- View your medical information at home or on the go, including reviewing your medications and medical history, accessing hospital discharge information and after visit summary, receiving test results, and reviewing health-related topics.
- Stay in touch with your doctor. You can request renewals of your medications and communicate securely with your medical team.
- Manage appointments, including scheduling your next appointment, and view details of your upcoming appointments.
- Coordinate your family’s care. You can access your family’s medical records and link your family’s accounts to yours for convenient access to appointments, immunization records, and more.
Your information is safe from unauthorized access because UPMC Central PA Portal is password protected and delivered via encrypted connection.
To access UPMC Central PA Portal for the first time, There are two ways to set up your account:
1. If you received an After Visit Summary with an activation code at your last office visit, select “I have an activation code” under “New User.” To set up your account, you must enter the activation code, your zip code, and your date of birth.
2. If you have not received an activation code, you can self-register. Select “I do not have a code” under “New User.” To set up your account, you must enter your first and last name, address, date of birth, gender, the last four digits of your Social Security number, and email address.
Need more information
Connect with the UPMC Central PA Portal app 24/7
UPMC Central PA Portal providers patients across the central Pennsylvania region with secure access to their health information. It is the fastest way to send a message to your doctor, refill prescriptions, get test results, and schedule and manage appointments, including video visits.
Log-In or Sign Up Today