UPMC in Central Pa. believes that patients and their families have the right to express concerns about their care and services.
Complaints, Concerns and Questions You and your family/guardian have the right to
- Tell hospital staff about your concerns or complaints regarding your care. This will not affect your future care.
- Seek review of quality of care concerns, coverage decisions, and concerns about your discharge.
- Expect a timely response to your complaint or grievance from the hospital. Complaints or grievances may be made in writing, by phone, or in person. The hospital has a duty to respond to these complaints or grievances in a manner that you can understand. To share your concerns with the hospital, please contact the hospital’s Customer Relations Department to speak with a Patient Representative.
- Customer Relations: 717-782-5503
- The Pennsylvania Department of Health is also available to assist you with any questions or concerns about your hospital care. You can reach the Department of Health by calling: 800-254-5164 or writing:
- Acute and Ambulatory Care Services Pennsylvania Department of Health Room 532 Health and Welfare Building 625 Forster Street Harrisburg, PA 17120
You may also contact The Joint Commission*, a hospital accreditation organization at:
The Joint Commission Office of Quality Monitoring
One Renaissance Boulevard Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181 Phone: 800-994-6610 Fax: 630-792-5636 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
*For UPMC Memorial patients only, you may contact the Healthcare Facilities Accreditation Program, a hospital accreditation organization at:
Healthcare Facilities Accreditation Program 506 North Clark, Suite 301 Chicago, IL 60654 312-920-7383 Or submit an online form.
Important Message from Medicare
Medicare patients have the right to report any concerns regarding quality of care, coverage decisions, or premature discharge to the Quality Improvement Organization (QIO). You can report these concerns by calling: Livanta at 1-888-396-4646 or TTY at 1-888-985-2660.