The athletic training department at UPMC Sports Medicine hosts various educational events. Learn more and register for upcoming events below.
Student Aide Workshop
UPMC Sports Medicine is proud to offer a biannual workshop for high school students interested in a career in athletic training or who wish to enhance the skills they use daily in their high school athletic training room.
Students will be exposed to elements of our key topics through lecture, demonstration, and presentations. The main topics will cover the role of an athletic trainer in multiple settings, anatomy, conditioning and rehabilitation, concussion, and career opportunities.
Saturday, May 13, 2023
8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Central Catholic High School
4720 Fifth Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Register for the Student Aide Workshop
Tentative topics/sessions include:
- Career exploration
- Conditioning and rehabilitation
- Common injury types
- Evaluation, diagnosis, and specific injuries
- Medical terminology
- Taping lab
There is a 40-student maximum for this event, and the workshop fee is $40 per student. The fee will cover educational materials, continental breakfast, lunch, and beverages for the day of the event.
Questions? Contact Rob McCabe at 412-432-3724.
Athletic Training Staff Seminar
Athletic trainers are invited to join us for a day of continuing education, featuring presentations on current athletic training topics, breakfast, lunch, and CEU credits.
Saturday, May 20, 2023
8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Duquesne Power Center
600 Forbes Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15282
Register for the Staff Seminar
- 7:30 to 8 a.m. – Registration & Breakfast
- 8:00 to 8:05 a.m. – Opening Remarks
- 8:05 a.m. – Susan Whitney DPT, PhD, NCS, ATC, FAPTA
Concussion and Dizziness: An Update
- 9:00 a.m. – Corey Pacek, MD
Athletic Hand and Wrist Injuries
- 9:55 to 10:10 a.m. – Break
- 10:10 a.m. – Robert Waltrip, MD
Approaching the Athlete with Shoulder Pain
- 11:05 a.m. – Tyler Vannucci, DAT, LAT, ATC
Evidence-Based Evaluation of the Shoulder
- 12:00 to 12:45 p.m. – Lunch
- 12:45 p.m. – Rebecca Kayda PhD, LAT, ATC & Emma Longley, MSAT Student
Sport Specific Return-to-Play Considerations for the Ice Hockey Athlete
- 1:40 p.m. – Ryan Nussbaum, DO
Evidence Based Injury Prevention: Muscle Cramps, Ankle Sprains, Throwing Injuries, and Hamstring Strains
- 2:35 to 2:50 p.m. – Break & Snack
- 2:50 p.m. – Ryan Wockley, MS, LAT, ATC, CES, NASECSS
Equipment Removal & Transport Considerations for the Potential Spine Injured Men’s Lacrosse Athlete
- 3:45 p.m. – Closing Remarks
The registration fee for certified athletic trainers is $100, and ATs are eligible for 7 Category A CEUs. The registration deadline is May 1st.
Questions? Please call 412-432-3770 or email ATDeptReports@upmc.edu.
Cancellation/Refund? Please email John Geist at firstname.lastname@example.org. All cancellations will receive a refund.