Calling All Volunteers in North Central Pa.
As a group of community hospitals in North Central Pa, we are delighted when those around us graciously support us through volunteering or auxiliary membership. Recent studies show that volunteering brings happiness, improves your health, reduces stress and boosts your self-esteem. So, come discover how you can make a difference in the health care of your community by working with UPMC.
UPMC offers volunteer opportunities for individuals of all ages at our hospitals in PA, and other locations. Discover how you can make a difference.
Become an adult volunteer
Adult volunteers can help patients directly or assist in non-patient care areas. Volunteers play a major role in our commitment to provide high-quality, compassionate, cost-effective and accessible healthcare to our patients and the community.
A number of different opportunities are available to suit the interests of our adult volunteers including:
- Reception Services — Volunteers greet, direct and escort hospital visitors and patients at the entrances and in departments. The surgical waiting rooms benefit from volunteers' gracious attention to waiting families.
- Office Services — Busy offices need assistance with filing, faxing, answering telephones, errands and computer work.
- Gift Shops — Located on each hospital campus, our shops are staffed by volunteers from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. The shops are a fundraising project of the auxiliaries.
- Patient Care Services — Volunteers are scheduled in several patient care areas. The assignments vary, and many include errands, distributing water and visiting patients.
- Hospice — Hospice volunteers provide much-needed respite for caregivers by providing companionship, preparing meals, singing, and helping with activities.
Join our VolunTEEN program
VolunTEENs are recognized as an important part of the hospital family. They support the services of departments by assisting patients and staff.
VolunTEENs experience personal satisfaction and self-worth as a result of serving others, working as part of a team and learning to manage time effectively. In addition, they build confidence while learning about healthcare careers.
Apply online (teens must be at least 15 years old).
Learn more about the UMPC Cole Junior and Bluebird volunteer programs for teens 9 to 17 years old.
Become an auxiliary member
Being a member of one of our four hospital auxiliaries affords a stimulating opportunity for social interaction with other dedicated people working together to support our community hospitals. Men and women of all ages participate in rewarding activities. Get involved in a fundraising committee or lend your support in a variety of other ways. No matter what, your membership is vital to the work of our auxiliaries.
Opportunities for development of leadership skills are offered through positions of responsibility within each organization. State and regional meetings give members the opportunity to network, share ideas and make leadership roles challenging and satisfying.
UPMC auxiliaries are members of the Pennsylvania Association of Hospital Auxiliaries (PAHA) and participate in activities of the Central Region Association (a geographical division of PAHA).
Find Volunteer and Auxiliary Opportunities Near You