Each resident's contract year begins on July 1 and ends on June 30 of the following year. Salaries and benefits are reviewed yearly, and UPMC is committed to remaining competitive with other Pennsylvania residency programs.
View the UPMC ME Benefits and Stipends
- Professional liability (malpractice) insurance — Provided, some exclusions may apply.
- Vacation — Eighteen paid working days away each year, which can be scheduled flexibly.
- Holidays — Seven each year (New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.)
- Paid sick leave — Five days maximum each year.
- Conference days — Up to five working days away and expense reimbursement up to $2,000 each year.
- Practice site visitation days — Five paid working days can be taken in resident's second and/or third years.
- Clinical skills enhancements and moonlighting opportunities — Available to second- and third-year residents with appropriate license and approval, which may include serving as the sideline physician for local high school football games, STD clinic, and ER shifts.
- Meals — Meals are provided to on duty residents at the UPMC Williamsport cafeteria.
- White lab coats — Four coats are provided.
- Board fee — Paid by the program as stated in policy.
On-Call Schedules (All Meet Work-Hour Requirements)
- First year — three to four 12-hour calls per month*
- Second year — two to three 24-hour weekend calls/month*
- Third year — one to two 24-hour calls/month*
*Plus two night float rotations lasting four weeks during each year of residency. Night float coverage begins at 5:00 p.m. and ends at 6:30 a.m. the next morning (Monday-Friday).
For more information about either our residency or clerkship programs, call 800-837-2011 or write to:
Williamsport Family Medicine Residency
740 High Street Suite 4001
Williamsport, Pennsylvania 17701