Each resident's contract year begins on July 1 and ends on June 30 of the following year. Salaries and benefits are reviewed yearly, and UPMC is committed to remaining competitive with other Pennsylvania residency programs.
View a complete list of benefits (PDF).
View the UPMC ME Benefits and Stipends
On-Call Schedules (All Meet Work-Hour Requirements)
- First year — three to four 12-hour calls per month*
- Second year — two to three 24-hour weekend calls/month*
- Third year — one to two 24-hour calls/month*
*Plus two night float rotations lasting four weeks during each year of residency. Night float coverage begins at 5:00 p.m. and ends at 6:30 a.m. the next morning (Monday-Friday).
- Health insurance — All premiums for residents and their family members included at no cost. This includes standard dental and basic vision coverage.
- Life insurance — One year’s full salary.
- Long-term disability insurance — Coverage for resident; provides 60% of salary if disabled.
- Professional liability (malpractice) insurance — Provided, some exclusions may apply.
- Vacation — Eighteen paid working days away each year, which can be scheduled flexibly.
- Holidays — Seven each year (New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.)
- Paid sick leave — Five days maximum each year.
- Conference days — Up to five working days away and expense reimbursement up to $2,000 each year.
- Practice site visitation days — Five paid working days can be taken in resident's second and/or third years.
- Clinical skills enhancements and moonlighting opportunities — Available to second- and third-year residents with appropriate license and approval, which may include serving as the sideline physician for local high school football games, STD clinic, and ER shifts.
- Meals — Meals are provided to on duty residents at the UPMC Williamsport cafeteria.
- White lab coats — Four coats are provided.
- Board fee — Paid by the program as stated in policy.
For more information about either our residency or clerkship programs, call 800-837-2011 or write to:
Williamsport Family Medicine Residency
740 High Street Suite 4001
Williamsport, Pennsylvania 17701