The effective treatment of back and neck pain often requires the collaborative expertise of multiple health care professionals. At the UPMC East Spine and Pain Program, we bring these experts together in one convenient location to diagnose and treat back and neck pain, spine disorders, and spine injuries.
Our highly trained team of neurosurgeons, orthopaedic spine surgeons, and pain management specialists work together to give you the most appropriate and effective treatment. Our focus is on restoring your spine health and getting you back on track to a full and active life.
The vast majority of back and neck problems can be successfully resolved through nonsurgical therapies and rehabilitation. Should you require surgery, our nationally respected surgeons offer the latest minimally invasive neck and spine procedures at UPMC East in its state-of-the-art surgical pavilion.
Conditions We Treat
- Arthritis of spine joints or spine
- Cervical, thoracic, and lumbar disorders
- Compression fractures of the spine
- Degenerative disc disease
- Facet joint degeneration
- Herniated/ruptured discs
- Myelopathy and radiculopathy
- Osteoporosis of the spine
- Pinched nerve
- Spinal tumors
- Spinal infections
- Tethered spinal cord
Evaluation and Treatment
UPMC East offers onsite access to a wide range of specialists, including:
- Diagnostic Imaging experts
- Neurologists and neurosurgeons
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation specialists
- Sports medicine and orthopaedic specialists
Nonsurgical Treatment Options
Our goal is to restore your quality of life and control pain using the least invasive treatment possible. That can mean using several types of treatment at the same time.
Depending on the severity of your condition, you can be treated with:
- Physical therapy: This type of therapy includes exercise, whirlpool, massage, and manipulation treatments by a certified physical therapist
- Spinal manipulation
- Medications: Medication options are targeted to your specific needs, including anti-inflammatory drugs, steroid injections, muscle relaxers, and sometimes narcotics
- Injection therapies: This form of therapy can include epidurals and nerve blocks to ease pain and reduce inflammation
- Rest and modified activities
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation
- Outpatient rehabilitation
UPMC East Surgical Services
Seven state-of-the-art operating rooms are available at UPMC East, providing Spine and Pain Program surgeons access to specialized and cutting edge equipment. Our highly trained nursing and technical staff work in concert with our surgeons to meet the highest standards of quality and compassionate patient-centered care.
Learn more about UPMC East’s surgical services.
Jean Adams: A Great-Grandmother’s Path to Back Pain Relief