Women's Heart Program Services
The Magee-Womens Heart Program offers innovative assessments, testing, and treatment to meet each woman's unique needs.
What Our Heart Program Offers
We take care of women for all types of reasons.
Sex-based risk assessments for heart disease
Traditional risk factors for heart disease in women include:
- Family history
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Smoking history
Non-traditional risk factors in women include:
- Pregnancy-related high blood pressure and diabetes
- Rheumatologic diseases such as lupus and rheumatoid arthritis
- Early menopause
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome or PCOCS
- Radiation for cancer
Diagnosis and treatment of heart disease symptoms in women
Heart disease symptoms in women include:
- Chest pain
- Neck pain
- Arm pain
- Shortness of breath
We also help women manage peri- and post-menopausal symptoms and discuss the pros and cons of hormone use.
Heart problems we treat include:
We offer pre-conception counseling and postpartum care for pregnant women who may have:
Diagnostic Tests at the Women's Heart Program
When we see you, we may use an array of tests to further diagnose or treat you.
- Cardiac ultrasound (also known as an echocardiogram or echo)
- Stress testing, including ultrasound, nuclear, and MRI
- Cardiac MRI
- CT scan of the heart
- Coronary artery calcium (CAC) scan
- Holter and event monitors
- Tilt table tests
- Heart catheterization
A Team Approach to Women's Heart Care
Our Women's Heart Program team works with many doctors in and out of our network to provide high-quality care for women.
Specialists we most commonly work with are below, but we're happy to work with any other doctors who care for you.
- Primary Care and Family Practice Providers
- Lung doctors
- Maternal Fetal Medicine Providers
- Surgeons and Anesthesiologists
We also work with other heart specialists, such as:
- Heart Failure Experts
Teaching Women Ways to Lower Heart Disease Risk
Through the Magee-Women's Heart program:
- You can receive ongoing education to help lower your risk factors and make healthy lifestyle choices.
- We also offer access to clinical trials for new heart disease drugs and devices.
- Our experts conduct endless research to gain a better understanding of heart disease in women and to design new treatments..
Breast Cancer and Heart Disease
Venmathi Indramohan, MD, discusses how breast cancer and heart disease are linked in multiple ways.