Children are not just small adults. They have specific health needs that need specialized care. Our board certified pediatricians and family practice doctors are among the best in the area. They are experts at delivering preventive and routine care for children from birth through age 18, and have immediate access to the specialists and facilities at UPMC in Central Pa.
When it comes time for choosing a physician for your baby or older child, UPMC in Central Pa. offers several practices from which to choose. Providers include pediatricians, family practice providers, or pediatric nurse practitioners.
Do Some Research
Our pediatric primary care providers (PCPs) are identified as family practice or pediatric doctors. Choose the type that works best for you and your family.
- Pediatricians specialize in caring for children from birth to around age 18. A general practice pediatrician works with their patients and families to manage the physical, mental, and emotional well-being of their patients, in every stage of development. They provide preventive health maintenance for healthy children and may also coordinate care for children who are acutely ill.
- Family practice physicians treat patients of all ages, from birth to the elderly. They can treat your whole family and not just your child, providing routine and preventive care as well as treatment for acute illness and chronic conditions.
Conduct An Interview
Choosing a pediatrician is a very personal decision. Make an appointment to meet your prospective doctor or nurse practitioner and spend some time observing the office. Ask yourself if the atmosphere in the office makes you comfortable. Do you feel you could communicate well with doctor? Your child will benefit if you and their health care provider can work together as a team.
Other important questions to ask
- Is the pediatrician on your insurance plan?
- Where is the doctor's office located?
- Is it convenient to your home or your child's school?
- What are the office hours?
- Do they work with your schedule?
- Do they have early, late or weekend hours?
- Is the doctor available by phone, email or both?
- How many providers are in the office?
- Will you always see your chosen doctor?
Your Child's First Visit
- For your first visit, please come 15 minutes early to allow time to fill out new patient paperwork and insurance information.
- We ask that you bring your insurance card and list of medications your child may be taking.
- We participate with many insurances and ask that you check with your company with any questions you have about your coverage. You are responsible for any non-covered charges.
- If you have an insurance co-pay for office visits, we ask that you pay that at the time of your appointment. We accept MasterCard, Visa, Discover, as well as debit cards for payment.
Need more information?
Our Pediatric Medicine Providers
- Maria S. Angelova, MD
- Steven A. Black, MD
- Andrea L. Burks, DO
- Amy L. DeLuca, DO
- Cynthia A. Elsner, MD
- Naazneen Iqbal, MD
- Sreenath Raghunath Joshi, MD
- Ameet Kumar, MD
- Kelly R. Leite, DO
- Chiamaka Onyewuchi, MD
- Tarun Saha, MD
- Judith M. Stranko, DO
- Natalie Swartzentruber, MD
- Scott Michael Vascik, MD
- Melencio Chan Ventura, MD
- Kathleen M. Zimmerman, MD
- Kayla L. Beard, CRNP
- Brittany A. Karchner, CRNP
- Julie A. Lundblad, CRNP
- Michelle N. Melville, CRNP
- Kristy Joy Shellenberger, PA-C
- Ann Summers, CRNP
- Carmela R. Coppola, MD
Need to access your medical records? We have an app for that.
UPMC Central PA Portal providers patients across the central Pennsylvania region with secure access to their health information. It is the fastest way to send a message to your doctor, refill prescriptions, get test results, and schedule and manage appointments, including video visits.
Log-In or Sign Up Today