UPMC in Central Pa's Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)-accredited Allopathic Internal Medicine Residency Program offers a highly structured teaching curriculum within a community environment.
The Program Offers:
- We are approved for a total of 64 medical residents. Currently, we have 46 categorical residents in the ACGME program. In addition, there are 18 residents in our osteopathic recognition (OR) track. The residency program is currently operating successfully under the ACGME 5 year accreditation cycle.
- We have dedicated teaching faculty, consisting of eight full-time physicians, including one Board Certified geriatrician. Our faculty bring a strong diversity in training and experience. Approximately 100 volunteer faculty from the community enhance the educational opportunities.
- House staff training is based at UPMC Harrisburg Hospital, which is the main site for inpatient rotations. Outpatient continuity/ambulatory clinic experiences are provided at the Kline Health care Center. In addition, private physician offices provide subspecialty ambulatory experiences in a real-life practice setting.
- We offer a highly structured teaching curriculum in a community environment. Our program has several innovative teaching models in place, such as business skills and leadership workshops, a practical clinical skills course during internship, ongoing “Mock Code” sessions and intensive board review by an independent consultant. We have also begun educating our faculty and residents in point of care ultrasound (POCUS), which is part of the forefront of internal medicine training.
- We are affiliated with Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine and Drexel University College of Medicine. These academic affiliations place emphasis on our senior residents as learners/educators in the core rotations, to approximately 6 - 8 medical students per month.
- We are based in a highly desirable location in the heart of Central Pennsylvania, in the beautiful Susquehanna Valley. Harrisburg is also the capital of the state, providing an interesting mix of urban and rural living.
Requirements for Application
Requirements for applying for the Allopathic Internal Medicine Program are as follows:
- Preference is given to those who have graduated from medical school in the last five years.
- You must have previous US clinical experience.
- H1B and J1 Visas are sponsored.
- All applications must be received through ERAS only. Email and fax applications will not be accepted.
- Applications will be accepted only through the first Friday of December.
If you have additional questions about the program or the application process, please contact:
Internal Medicine Residency Program
UPMC in Central Pa Hospitals