Primary Stroke Center at UPMC Altoona
Contact the UPMC Altoona Primary Stroke Center
To make an appointment for outpatient stroke care, call 814-889-3930.
We are located in Building E3 on UPMC Altoona's campus.
Know the Signs of Stroke
The UPMC Altoona Primary Stroke Center wants to increase awareness of stroke symptoms. Knowing the signs and getting early treatment is key to limiting damage from a stroke.
Symptoms of stroke often come on without warning and for no clear reason.
Call 911 right away if you or someone you're with show any of the following signs:
- Weakness on one side of the body.
- Numbness on one side of the face.
- Numbness of the right or left arm and leg.
- Problems speaking, including slurred speech and not making sense.
- Trouble understanding others.
- Vision problems — such as seeing double — and vision loss, especially in one eye.
- Problems with balance or coordination.
- Severe headache.
The F.A.S.T test
If you notice any of the symptoms above, a quick way to check for a stroke is to follow the F.A.S.T test:
- Face drooping: Ask the person to smile.
- Arm weakness: Ask the person to raise both of their arms.
- Speech: Ask the person to speak.
- Time: If any of the above seems out of the norm, call 911 right sway.
Time is Brain. Once a stroke happens, immediate medical care is vital to prevent further damage to the brain. Quick treatment can reduce complications.
Stroke Center Honors and Awards
The award-winning UPMC Altoona Primary Stroke Center has earned the Joint Commission's Gold Seal of Approval.
Other honors and awards from the American Heart Association (AHA) include:
- Target: Stroke℠ Honor Roll. For meeting quality measures that reduce the time between hospital arrival and treatment.
- Get With The Guidelines® (GWTG) - Stroke Gold Plus Honor Roll Elite Plus. For making sure our patients get the most appropriate treatment based on research-based guidelines and scientific evidence.
- GWTG - Stroke Gold Plus Performance Achievement Award (received seven times). For two or more successive calendar years of 85 percent or higher adherence to all achievement measures.
Learn More About Strokes and Stroke Prevention
UPMC Stroke Institute
Learn more about stroke care at UPMC.