The thorax is the part of the body between the neck and the abdomen, including everything inside the ribs. This type of surgery, called a thoracic operation, focuses on treating diseases that affect the chest cavity and the organs within it.
Our program specializes in treating conditions of the lungs, esophagus, trachea, and other tissues inside the chest other than the heart. Whenever possible, the doctors in our program perform minimally invasive surgery, which is done through small openings rather than large ones. This reduces the risk of blood loss, infection, and other complications of traditional surgery. Minimally invasive surgery also reduces length of hospital stays and shortens recovery time.
Contact the UPMC Altoona Department of Thoracic Surgery
To schedule an appointment, call the UPMC Altoona Department of Thoracic Surgery at 814-889-4600.
Our office is located on the 4th Floor of the Outpatient Center on UPMC Altoona's campus.
About the Thoracic Surgery Program at UPMC Altoona
The UPMC Altoona Thoracic Surgery Program was established in 2018 to offer treatment closer to home for our patients in the Blair County area.
Our team treats many different conditions and diseases of the thoracic cavity. These include:
- Diseases of the windpipe and lungs
- Bronchial and tracheal stenosis (with stents and thermal modalities)
- Lung cancers (treatment and resections)
- Emphysema (lung volume reduction)
- Interstitial lung disease
- Lung Biopsies
- Diseases of the thoracic tissues
- Hiatal hernia
- Paraesophageal hernia
- Diaphragmatic Disorders
- Mediastinal adenopathy
- Pleural effusions (benign and malignant)
- Pneumothorax (collapsed lung)
- Myasthenia gravis
- Mediastinal masses (Thymoma)
- Chest wall conditions
- Chest Trauma
- Diseases of the esophagus and digestive tract
- Barrett's esophagus
- Esophageal cancer
- Esophageal diverticulum
- Esophageal stenosis
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
Our Thoracic Surgery Providers
Christopher Wigfield, MD