Volunteers are valuable and essential members of the UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital community. They serve as Magee “ambassadors” and play a vital role in supporting and lightening the lives of patients, visitors, and staff.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Magee. You’ll join many of other men and women who are involved in almost every area of our hospital’s daily operations.
Giving your time at Magee offers many chances to create meaningful moments in the lives of our patients, family members, and guests.
Volunteer Programs at Magee
There are many volunteer opportunities throughout UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital from which to choose. Most of these positions are needed on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., with limited evening and weekend positions available.
Volunteer programs at Magee include:
- Clinical areas such as Oncology & Adult ICU
- Mammography Volunteer Programs (MVP)
- No One Dies Alone (NODA)
- Pet Therapy
- Summer Junior Volunteer Program
- Patient Navigator Program
- Non-cinical areas such as Dietary & Gift Shop
Requirements for Magee Volunteers
Before you are accepted into the volunteer program, you must:
- Be at least 15-years old.
- Complete an application.
- Attend the mandatory orientation program.
- Have a valid Social Security number.
- Provide clearances (for those 18 and older).
- Have a positive attitude and desire to help others.
- Have yearly TB tests. We require every volunteer to have a tuberculosis skin test (PPD) once a year (1-step).
- Get your annual flu shot. Flu shots are mandatory at UPMC for those who come within 6 feet of a patient or are in a patient or clinical area. Those who decline a flu shot must sign a form and wear a mask during flu season.
Note: We provide free TB tests and flu shots at Magee’s MyHealth Clinic. To make an appointment, contact Mary Ann Porter, RN at 412-641-4445 or email@example.com.
Benefits for Volunteers at Magee
- Meal vouchers for each day of service, valid for use in the cafeteria or Gardenview Café.
- Free parking.
- Recognition luncheon: We hold a special luncheon each year to honor all our volunteers. We also present a “Volunteer of the Year” award to recognize one volunteer's outstanding contributions.
Join our circle of volunteers by giving your time, talents, and caring heart to make a difference in the lives of others.
Apply to volunteer at UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital.