When faced with the uncertainty of an emergency, you can be confident in the quality of care provided by UPMC Mercy’s experienced team of emergency medicine specialists. We offer state-of-the-art, life-saving care to more than 70,000 people annually. And as the region’s only faith-based hospital, we minimize the stress that our emergency patients and their families face by delivering compassionate and personalized care in the spirit of our founders. The Emergency Department (ED) is open at all times – every day, 24 hours a day.
At UPMC Mercy we have the medical expertise to handle every type of accident, injury, and medical emergency that comes through our doors, day or night, every day of the year. Our board-certified emergency doctors and specially trained physician assistants, nurses, technicians, and support staff evaluate, treat, and stabilize emergencies that range from heart attacks and strokes to broken bones and cuts.
Emergency Services is the gateway to UPMC Mercy’s Level I Trauma Center (the highest level) and Comprehensive Burn Center. UPMC Mercy is western Pennsylvania’s only hospital to offer both services.
For patients with mild ailments or minor injuries, our SuperTrack service allows us to deliver high quality care quickly and conveniently.
If you think you’ve been exposed to COVID-19 and have only mild symptoms – and you do not have difficulty breathing – you can schedule a COVID-19 test at a designated test location. The Emergency Department is NOT the place to get a COVID-19 test UNLESS you are experiencing breathing problems or other severe symptoms.
Going to an Emergency Department with mild or no symptoms may create a long wait time for you to be seen and COVID-19 test results do not come back more quickly – they still will take one, two, or more days.
Get more information or find a testing location near you.
For a medical emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency department. For immediate help with a mental health crisis, call 988 for the Suicide & Crisis Lifeline.
Emergency Services We Offer at UPMC Mercy
Comprehensive Level I Trauma Care
- Immediate access to the specialties and subspecialties critical to caring for any type of traumatic injury
Learn more about Trauma Services at UPMC Mercy.
Comprehensive Burn Care
- A nationally recognized, comprehensive ABA (American Burn Association)-verified burn center
- Includes experts in plastic surgery, wound care, and rehabilitation, as well as emotional support specialists
Learn more about UPMC Mercy Burn Center.
- Specialized professionals provide detoxification evaluation and services
Learn more about Addiction Medicine at UPMC Mercy.
Emergency Cardiac Care
- Provides high-tech diagnostic techniques as well as emergency advanced procedures
Learn more about Cardiac Services at UPMC Mercy.
Behavioral Health Services
- Initial assessments by a clinician from UPMC Mercy’s Evaluation and Referral Center (ERC)
Learn more about Behavioral Health Services at UPMC Mercy.
- Part of the UPMC Stroke Institute and certified by The Joint Commission as a Primary Stroke Center
- Acute stroke intervention, including the groundbreaking mechanical thrombectomy, a minimally invasive procedure that can rapidly remove stoke-causing blood clots from an artery
- Provides the most advanced treatments and procedures in stroke care
Learn more about Stroke Care Services at UPMC Mercy.
Other Emergency Services Highlights
- 24/7 laboratory and imaging services
- All doctors are board-certified in emergency medicine
- Specially trained emergency medicine nursing staff
- Onsite heliport for medical helicopters
- Trauma/burn resuscitation areas
- Behavioral health treatment space
- Post-emergency care coordination with the patient’s primary care doctor
Directions to UPMC Mercy Emergency Services