The Magee-Womens Gynecologic Cancer Program in Pittsburgh, Pa., offers the latest surgical advances for treating gynecologic cancers.
What is Robot-Assisted Surgery?
Robot-assisted surgery, using the da Vinci® Surgical System, is a type of minimally invasive surgery (MIS).
Our specially trained surgical experts use advanced equipment to translate their hand and finger movements to robotic arms, allowing for:
- Precise, real-time movements
- Greater dexterity and precision, compared to traditional open surgery
Types of Gynecologic Cancers We Treat
We use robot-assisted surgery for gynecologic cancers requiring the removal of the:
- Uterus (supra-cervical hysterectomy)
- Uterus and cervix (total hysterectomy)
- Fallopian tubes and/or ovaries (as part of a hysterectomy or separately)
- Lymph nodes
We also use this technology for tissue sampling.
Benefits of Robot-Assisted Surgery
Compared to traditional open surgical procedures, the benefits of robot-assisted surgery for treating gynecologic cancer typically include:
- Less bleeding and scarring
- Reduced pain
- Shorter hospital stay
- Quicker recovery
- Earlier return to normal activity
- Smaller scars