The team at the Center for Pain Management at UPMC Passavant work together to help you manage and overcome your pain. Our team includes:
- Other specialized physicians
Conditions We Treat
The center can treat all types of pain problems including:
- Back pain
- Cancer pain
- Chronic regional pain syndrome (type I and II)
- Post-surgical pain
- Post-herpetic pain (follows an attack of shingles)
- Facial pain
- Phantom limb pain
- Vasospastic disorders (pain due to poor circulation)
The center employs a wide range of treatments to relieve pain including:
- Medications: The center uses medications like anti-inflammatory drugs, opiates, anti-depressants, anti-seizure medicines, and other medications specific to your needs.
- Physical therapy: This type of therapy includes exercise, whirlpool, massage, and manipulation treatments by a certified physical therapist.
- Biofeedback and deep muscle relaxation training: This is a procedure that helps decrease muscle tension while increasing your tolerance for pain.
- Cognitive therapy: Cognitive therapy is used for pain control, which includes the services of a trained psychologist, psychiatrist, or mental health professional.
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS): This is a form of electrical stimulation that can diminish pain.
- Injection therapy: This type of therapy uses a local anesthetic to block nerve impulses from a painful area before they reach the brain.
- Steroid therapy: This type of therapy involves injecting steroids into the epidural space surrounding the spinal cord to reduce nerve irritation and inflammation.
- Diet counseling: This promotes weight loss to reduce back pain or conditions caused by excess stress on the joints.
- Implatable therapy: This is a device that can be permanently implanted to assist with pain management.
Many painful conditions can be successfully treated by your family physician. If you have pain that does not improve within six months of treatment, you may benefit from the services of our Pain Management Center. Since treatment does require a doctor's referral, discuss the center's options with your physician. Find a physician
near you or call 1-800-533-8762