Specialty Care for the Older Adult
UPMC St. Margaret Geriatric Care Center is an evaluation and treatment center designed to meet the health needs of people over age 60. Along with specialized medical and psychiatric care, geriatric professionals assist older adults and their families in making health care decisions to fulfill the patient’s daily needs.
Our geriatric team includes a:
- Registered nurse
- Clinical pharmacist
- Licensed clinical social worker
Once evaluated, patients and their families have the opportunity to discuss treatment plans and recommendations with health care professionals.
Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementias
We provide diagnosis and management for people with memory loss and associated problems. The evaluation may include neuropsychological testing.
Behavioral Health and Counseling Services
Our geriatric psychiatrist provides evaluation and management for older adults. Licensed clinical social workers offer individual and family counseling for:
- loss, grief, and bereavement
- life stress and a range of behavioral health issues
Geriatric Medical Assessment
Geriatricians provide thorough evaluation, consultative care, and primary care for seniors who may have:
- complex medical problems
- multiple medications
- confusion and emotional changes that often accompany physical illness
- problems with urinary incontinence
- frequent falls or balance and mobility problems
- a need for comprehensive health care education
Care Planning Assistance
Our licensed clinical social workers and health care team work together with families to create a plan of care for the older adult. Our goals include:
- helping seniors to safely remain in their home as long as possible
- assisting in decision making about alternative care options
- referring to community resources
The UPMC St. Margaret Geriatric Care Center accepts Medicare and many other insurance plans. If you are uncertain about your coverage, our staff can assist you.