Do you want to lose weight but aren't a candidate for bariatric surgery or simply don't want to have surgery?
Do you want to control or reverse any weight-related diseases you may have, such as:
- Type-2 diabetes?
- High blood pressure or heart problems?
- Sleep apnea or other breathing issues?
At UPMC Central PA Weight Management Center, we help you achieve your weight loss needs through:
- Office visits with our doctors.
- Diet and nutrition plans.
- Exercise guidelines.
- Lifestyle changes and mental health support.
- Weight loss drug options.
Contact UPMC Central PA Weight Management Center
To make an appointment, call 717-231-8221.
A Personal Approach to Your Non-Surgical Weight Loss Journey
Our weight loss care team includes a doctor, nurse practitioner, and registered dietitian who will work with you one on one.
- Nutrition and health counseling to provide you with the lifelong habits you need to stay at your healthiest weight.
- One-on-one and group meetings to foster healthy eating choices.
- Exercise coaching to guide you safely toward a more active life.
- Support groups so you don't have to face the complex challenges of weight loss alone. We have a private weight loss Facebook group and offer in-person support group sessions.
Sustained weight loss is hard. Our medical weight management team's commitment to your personal journey lasts a lifetime, and we set you up for success.
More than 80% of our patients have lost weight. Some have lost more than 100 pounds.
If you are struggling to lose weight, reach out to us and let us help.
What to Expect at UPMC Central PA Weight Management Center
To help you meet your weight loss or weight management goals, we focus on:
- Lifestyle changes.
- Stress management techniques.
- Nutrition and healthy eating.
- Encouragement and support.
We may also use weight loss medications if they're right for you.
If you're thinking about weight loss surgery, we'll refer you to the UPMC Central PA Weight Management Center.
Your weight management office visits
Seeing you at your primary care provider's office keeps copays down and we hope it provides comfort when talking about your weight.
Health insurance covers these appointments, but you must take care of any:
You'll meet one-on-one with the doctor to discuss your weight management goals.
You'll see the doctor every 4 to 8 weeks, switching the appointments with a registered dietitian.
There's no limit to office visits. You and your care team will decide how often you visit.
At UPMC Central PA Weight Management Center, our team sees the value in giving you the tools to make long-lasting lifestyle changes.
Behavior changes such as mindfulness, goal-setting skills, and weight management education are all part of your care.
And we design meal plans tailored to meet your needs.
- Ideal for gradual weight loss and making lifestyle changes that will stick.
- Promotes fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, lean protein, and healthy fats.
- Supports mindful eating and staying active.
- Is flexible and can work with many health problems.
Partial meal replacement
- Provides a structured meal plan to help you stay on track.
- Often suggests taking in 800-1000 calories per day.
- Replaces one to two meals per day with bars, shakes, or pre-prepared meals.
- Uses healthy snacks and veggies to help manage hunger in between meals.
Low carb/high protein diet
- Offers lean meats, low carb veggies, unlimited salads, and healthy fats.
- Advises a restrictive meal plan for rapid weight loss.
- Requires monthly blood work.
- Helps you learn the difference between hunger and non-hunger triggers for eating.
- Urges slow eating without distraction.
- Teaches you how to deal with guilt and anxiety around food.
Weight Loss Programs We Offer at UPMC Central PA Weight Management Center
We customize our weight loss programs to fit your needs and lifestyle.
We partner with you and help you set achievable and realistic goals with an emphasis on making long-term lifestyle changes.
Program 1: intensive weight loss and maintenance.
This program has two phases — intensive weight loss and maintenance.
During the intensive phase:
- You'll meet with the doctor, dietitian, and health educator every two to four weeks.
- You can expect this phase to last 24 weeks.
- We may extend this phase beyond 24 weeks, based on your goals and at the doctor's discretion.
During the maintenance phase:
- The focus is on keeping off the weight you lost.
- You'll meet with the team once per month.
- This phase typically lasts six months.
Program 2: intensive weight loss and maintenance with less frequent visits.
This program is like program 1, except you'll meet with the weight loss team every one to two months. Appointments may occur more or less frequently based on your unique needs.
This program lasts a year or longer.
Both intensive weight loss programs offer one on one counseling sessions with the care team and shared medical visits.
Shared weight loss program visits are an hour and a half and involve a four to eight weight management patients.
During shared visits, you and your group will:
- Spend 30 to 45 minutes with the doctor who will address your progress and concerns about your medical and weight history.
- Meet with the registered dietitian for the remaining time who will share nutrition information.
- Have the chance to connect with each other while gaining a wealth of knowledge.
UPMC Central PA Weight Management Center Locations
Our weight loss programs are growing and we offer them at:
Our dietitians offer in-person appointments, video visits, and phone appointments at several office and hospital locations for your convenience.
To make an appointment, call 717-231-8221.
Our Medical Weight Management Services Providers