What Is Neck Pain?
Neck pain causes
Neck pain can result from a muscle strain, arthritis, or a more serious trauma — such as an accident or blow to the head. You should consult a doctor right away if you suffer head trauma.
Other causes of neck pain include twisting, jerking, or other odd head movements.
Neck pain risk factors
A number of factors can put you at risk for neck pain.
Sports — such as soccer and football — involve rapid neck movements that can strain your neck and cause pain.
Other neck pain risk factors can include:
- Poor posture or sleeping position.
- Worn joints in your neck.
- Compression of the nerves.
- Arthritis in the bones of your neck or spine.
Neck pain complications
Left untreated, neck pain can cause you to adjust your movements and posture.
This may lead to:
- Upper body discomfort.
- Sore muscles.
- Limited enjoyment of your favorite sports and daily activities.
Learn more about neck pain
The links below will open a new browser window.