Striving for Excellence
At UPMC, we aim to provide everyone — our patients, our employees, and the greater community — with the very best. We have received recognition for many of our efforts, and we strive to change lives for the better every day.
Awards and Recognition
On this page:
150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare
UPMC was among the top hospitals, health systems, and health care companies that:
- Promote diversity within the workforce, employee engagement, and professional growth.
- Go above and beyond other health care companies in helping employees build successful career.
- Offer substantial wellness and personal benefits to ensure employees strike a positive work/life balance.
50 Out Front: Best Places to Work For Women and Diverse Managers
UPMC ranked #2 in 2021 as a best place to work for women and people of color. It's the third straight year we finished in the top five.
Diversity MBA Media uses benchmark metrics which measure how companies invest in intentional diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts.
Best Organizations for Leadership Development (BOLD) Award from the National Center for Healthcare Leadership (NCHL)
In 2022, the NCHL selected UPMC as one of seven national BOLD award winners that recognizes health care organizations that:
- Bases leadership-development practices on sound scientific principles and best available evidence for effectiveness.
- Promote leadership development as a critical focus.
- Identify, celebrate, and disseminate leadership development practices to benefit other health care organizations.
In 2023, UPMC received the Catalyst Award — the premier gender equity award that honors organizations:
- Who are advocates for diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.
- Whose influential and pioneering initiatives accelerate and advance women and people of color into leadership roles.
Advanced Health Equity Accreditation from the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA)
In 2022, UPMC for You earned NCQA’s:
- Health Equity Accreditation Plus for efforts to improve health equity and make equitable care a reality.
- Distinction in Multicultural Health Care. It recognizes market leaders working to provide culturally and linguistically sensitive services while also working to reduce health care disparities.
UPMC Community HealthChoices has earned:
- Accreditation from NCQA.
- The Long Term Services and Supports distinction award, as well as a perfect audit score.
The Human Rights Campaign - Healthcare Equality Index (HEI)
In 2021, UPMC facilities were recognized as HEI leaders.
HEI is the national benchmarking tool that measures equitable health for LGBTQ+ people. It evaluates health care facilities’ policies and practices around the equity and inclusion of their LGBTQ+ patients, visitors, and employees.
In 2022, UPMC Health Plan and Community Care Behavioral Health Organization also received honors.
They had the top score of 100 on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation's 2022 Corporate Equality Index (CEI). CEI is the nation's foremost benchmarking survey and report on corporate policies and practices related to LGBTQ+ workplace equality.
2022 was the fourth consecutive year the Health Plan has earned the award.
Inspiring Workplace Awards
In 2021, UPMC won the gold medal for having an inspiring workplace culture.
Stevie® Awards for Sales & Customer Service
In 2022, UPMC Health Plan earned 12 awards for outstanding customer service and innovation, including four Gold Stevie Awards for:
- Sales Support Team of the Year.
- Back-Office Customer Service Team of the Year.
- Best Use of Technology in Customer Service.
- Sales Support Professional of the Year (Marissa Williams).
This is a global competition recognizing and celebrating excellence in recruitment marketing and employer branding practices.
Judges score nominees on four principal factors: innovation, quality, strategy, and results.
In 2022, UPMC won:
- 1st for best careers blog.
- 2nd for best recruitment marketing campaign.
The Vibrant Index Initiative
Vibrant Pittsburgh helps local businesses embed diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) into all aspects of its culture.
The index identifies areas of success and needed actions to improve DE&I practices, policies, and cultures.
UPMC received a perfect score in every category — ahead of any average that was measured in each category.
World’s Most Ethical Companies
Ethisphere Institute focuses on defining and advancing ethical business practice standards.
In 2023, UPMC earned the World’s Most Ethical Companies award for the fifth year in a row. It was one of only two organizations recognized in the integrated health care systems category.
Back to top.
UPMC Hillman Cancer Center
National Cancer Institute (NCI)-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center
Hillman is one of only 53 NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers in the United States.
NCI recognizes this elite group for their demonstrated excellence in:
- Cancer research.
- Patient care.
- Community outreach.
American College of Radiation Oncology (ACRO) Practice Accreditation
UPMC Hillman Cancer Center is one of the largest networks in the U.S. to hold ACRO Practice Accreditation. This assures that the center meets vigorous and nationally accepted standards for cancer patient safety and radiation oncology care.
Commission on Cancer (CoC) accredited with commendation
Multiple UPMC Hillman Cancer Center sites and UPMC hospitals received CoC recognition for:
- Meeting a national quality standard.
- Establishing a framework for quality.
- Improving patient care.
Quality Oncology Practice Initiative (QOPI) certification
QOPI recognized UPMC Hillman Cancer Center for continuous quality improvement in medical oncology care.
Hillman is one of the largest cancer treatment networks in the U.S. to apply for and receive QOPI certification.
Back to top.