If you or a loved one suffers from a hearing or language disorder, our audiologists can help.
At UPMC Chautauqua, we:
- Diagnose and treat speech, language, hearing, and swallowing problems for people of all ages.
- Assess your newborn for hearing loss.
How We Can Help Your Speech or Hearing
Working with your PCP, we review your exact speech or hearing needs. Then, we design a plan of care suited to your condition and lifestyle.
We can help you or your child with:
- Hearing loss.
- Language delays and disorders.
- Diction/speech-sound disorders.
- Voice disorders.
- Accent modification.
- Swallowing problems.
Speech and Hearing Services at UPMC Chautauqua
We offer a full range of speech, hearing, and swallowing tests and treatments. We'll work with you to design a care plan best suited for your personal needs and goals.
Our care team offers:
- Thorough hearing assessments and consults using the latest digital technology.
- Hearing aid selection and fitting for all ages, including infants and children.
- Auditory brainstem response (ABR) testing to assesses auditory function, mostly in infants.
- Industrial hearing screenings to help companies meet the OSHA Hearing Conservation Amendment.
Specialized hearing and balance services
We also offer tests and services such as:
- Immittance testing to assess middle ear function. Tests include tympanometry, acoustic reflex testing, and acoustic reflex decay testing.
- Otoacoustic emissions (OAE) testing to assess inner ear function. This is helpful in the absence of behavioral audiometric results, such as with infants, children, and people with disabilities.
- Real ear measurements (REMs) to give us data to adjust hearing aid settings. REMs account for differences in sound delivery from the hearing aid to your ear and verify they're meeting prescriptive targets. This gives you access to the dynamic range of sound necessary for ideal speech understanding.
- Aural rehabilitation to provide communication plans for people with hearing loss and their loved ones. We also help with assistive listening devices to enhance communication success.
- Custom earmolds, swim plugs, and hearing protection.
Newborn hearing screenings at UPMC Chautauqua
This program lets us screen all infants for hearing impairment as mandated by the state of New York.
The screening test tells us what children need further testing. This lets us effectively address the needs of those born with hearing loss.
Early detection and management of hearing loss allows these newborns the chance to develop to their fullest potential.
UPMC Chautauqua provides a wide range of treatments to help children and adults improve speech, language, voice, and swallowing.
Our speech-language pathologists have training in human communication development and disorders.
Working with referring doctors, we review each person's needs. Then we design a long-term plan of care to best suit your condition, education, and lifestyle.
Speech and language testing and therapy can help with:
- Accent adjustments.
- Children's language disorders.
- Cognitive-communication rehabilitation due to congenital or neurological issues.
- Developmental speech delays.
- Speech and/or language disorders due to neurological issues including trauma.
- Fluency (stuttering).
- Motor speech disorders.
- Speech/language delays due to hearing loss.
- Voice disorders.
Many conditions can make it hard to swallow. We diagnose and treat adults, children, and infants who have swallowing problems.
Our services include:
- Oral phase swallowing assessments.
- Modified barium swallows (video fluoroscopic swallowing studies done in conjunction with radiologist) formerly known as 3 Phase Swallow.
- Swallowing therapy to address weakness found in test results.
- Compensatory strategies and/diet adjustments for safe swallowing.
Why Choose UPMC Chautauqua for Speech and Hearing Care?
- We've been treating people with speech and hearing disorders for more than 50 years.
- We're an approved New York State Department of Health Diagnostic and Treatment Center.
- We offer Lee Silverman Voice Treatment (LSVT) for Parkinson's disease.
To learn more or make an appointment, call 716-664-8194.
UPMC Chautauqua Speech and Hearing
31 Sherman St., Building C, 1st Floor
Jamestown, NY 14701