The Shenango Valley Hospital, the predecessor to UPMC Jameson, admits its first patients. The 85-bed facility is at the corner of North Beaver Street and West Lincoln Avenue in New Castle.
The Shenango Valley Hospital School of Nursing opens.
Oct. 26, 1926
David Jameson, longtime New Castle resident and co-founder of Citizens National Bank, announces to the Shenango Valley Hospital officers that he will fund the construction of a new hospital.
March 20, 1927
Mr. Jameson dies at age 70 in his home on North Jefferson Street in New Castle.
Aug. 19, 1927
The future site of Jameson Memorial Hospital is cleared. Construction begins soon after under the close supervision of Mr. Jameson's widow, Jessie A. Jameson. Because Mr. Jameson was a firm believer in the power of sunlight to heal sick patients, the hospital is designed so the entrance faces south, and the longest corridor runs east to west. Sun parlors were added at both ends of the corridors.
The Jameson Aid Society is founded to support the new hospital.
June 2, 1928
The hospital cornerstone is laid in the southeast corner of the front porch.
The Shenango Valley Hospital merges with Jameson Memorial Hospital. The Shenango Valley Nursing School becomes Jameson Nursing School.
Aug. 22, 1929
Jameson Memorial Hospital opens. Mrs. Jameson presents the new hospital to the residents of Lawrence County on behalf of her late husband. The first patients are admitted a few days later. Mrs. Jameson and her daughter, Elizabeth J. McCreery, also present the adjacent nurses' residence and school in memory of their son and brother, David A. Jameson.
Sept. 8, 1929
Lois Pate is the first baby born at Jameson Memorial Hospital. Her parents are Hazel and Victor Pate of Baden, Pa.
In its first year of operation, the 150-bed Jameson Memorial Hospital admits 2,448 patients.
The Jameson Junior Guild is organized.
The first addition to the hospital, the north wing, opens. Alex Crawford Hoyt, a banking colleague of Mr. Jameson's, headed the campaign to raise money for the addition.
Sept. 26, 1962
An addition to the School of Nursing opens in memory of Mr. Hoyt's sister, May Emma Hoyt.
The hospital's main entrance is moved to the west side of the building after a diagnostic and treatment wing is added to the south side.
Jameson Memorial Hospital acquires the assets of the former St. Francis Hospital in New Castle.
A 55,000 square foot emergency services and surgical wing opens at the hospital.
May 1, 2016
Jameson Memorial Hospital merges with UPMC and becomes UPMC Jameson.
The new state-of-the-art UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute at UPMC Jameson opens on the ground floor of the hospital in the space previously occupied by the old Emergency Department. The hospital also unveils a renovated outpatient center on the first floor, which houses the pain management clinic and UPMC Wound Healing Services at UPMC Jameson.
UPMC Outpatient Center at Westgate Plaza opens in Union Township. The facility houses primary care and specialty offices as well as imaging and lab services.
A new fully-equipped cardiac catheterization lab with the latest diagnostic imaging devices and monitoring equipment opens on the first floor of the hospital.
A renovated medical-surgical unit featuring private rooms, an orthopaedic surgery rehab gym, and specially designed rooms for bariatric surgery patients opens on the third floor.
A modernized 12-bed critical care unit opens on the second floor.
UPMC Bariatric Services at UPMC Jameson is accredited by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP) as a Comprehensive Center. As part of a regionalization strategy, the bariatric surgery program moved to UPMC Jameson from UPMC Horizon in 2017.
UPMC Jameson begins offering robotic surgery with da Vinci® System.
Jan. 14, 2020
The former 2 West unit reopens as the 2200 unit after a six-month renovation. The 25-bed unit features 11 private rooms, seven semi-private rooms, new flooring, new beds, and improved lighting.