Are you having trouble managing your chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)? The Better Breathing Clinic at UPMC Northwest can help.
We offer classes that review the following topics:
- Creating a COPD self-management plan.
- Exercise tips that can help you breathe better.
- How to improve eating with COPD.
- How to live better with a chronic lung condition.
- Learning how your lungs work.
- Methods to lower your stress level and reduce anxiety or depression
- Practical information about breathing medications.
- Successful ways to reduce or stop smoking.
2023 Class Schedule
Classes are held virtually and are conducted by a UPMC Northwest respiratory staff member. To register for a class, or for more information, call 814-677-1463 or 1-800-422-8888.
Thursday, March 2, 4 p.m.
Thursday, June 1, 4 p.m.
Thursday, Sept. 7, 4 p.m.
Thursday, Dec. 7, 4 p.m.
Download the Better Breathing Clinic flier (PDF)
Reducing Readmissions of COPD Patients
The Better Breathing Clinic was introduced as part of UPMC Northwest's overall effort to reduce readmissions for COPD patients. Doctors at the hospital also identified several ways to decrease the number of readmissions by studying the habits of COPD patients after they left the hospital.
- Flu and pneumonia vaccinations.
- Obtaining a spirometry measurement.
- Measuring alpha-1 antitrypsin levels.
- Testing pulse oximetry with exercise.
- Educating patients about the proper use of COPD medications and inhalers.